Author Topic: New Starter  (Read 1940 times)

Bucky

• Not So New ...
New Starter
« on: June 05, 2005, 10:44:08 »
Hi,

This is our first time to Allotments 4 All. 

We have just started an allotment which to say was overgrown is an understatement.  We have spent three days strimming, and are now left with flat weeds and grass. 

My question is simply, we don't know what to do next.  We have been advised to burn the remaining grass, then carpet the area for six months after which the weeds should be dead and we should be able to rotivate.

As we are total beginners, any advice would be welcome.

Regards Bucky

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Re: New Starter
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 13:18:11 »
That's ok but I'd try to clear a small area by hand right away and get something growing now

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 14:15:20 »
welcome aboard.
and what the merry tiller says - cover up as much of the plot as you want, with old carpet (non-foam backed variety only), black plastic film, or large-ish heets of cardboard. then make some beds in the remaining space and grow some stuff. it's fun, and will help keep you motivated.

as to the use of a rotovator - there is divided opinion here on their use. i'll let others speak (as i have never rotovated, nor had the need to)

:)
svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 16:07:03 »
I know how you feel. All my plot was like this when I moved in!

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 16:22:20 »
Bucky do not worry to much what it looks like nowthis is how one of mine looked when I took it on

[/img]

and this is how it looks now

[/img]

the first picture is the allottment at the side of the second picture I have now done 7 allotments which all looked like the ones in the first photo, it looks like a lot of hard work and it is but once you make your mind up to get stuck in and as long as you enjoy it it is well worth it in the end, just think of the nice fresh produce you will be able to grow and believe me you will get there.

;)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 17:10:09 by Richard Kinson »
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal