Author Topic: Bean and Pea beds...spacing...I'm confused  (Read 5216 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Bean and Pea beds...spacing...I'm confused
« on: May 14, 2016, 15:15:29 »
I know there is a lot of variation in the web re spacing etc but I can't get my head around how to lay out my bean and also my pea bed.

I have two 3 m by 1 m beds. One for peas and one for beans. I'm planning on Golden Sweet Mange tout and Climbing Borlotti for the bean bed.

I am not sure how far apart to put my poles in rows....assuming two rows will be fine in that width bed? Do I stagger the poles.

What would you folks do with that space?

I've a third bed of same size and toying with going for snap pea Sugar Ann....
Jackie

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Bean and Pea beds...spacing...I'm confused
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 15:48:46 »
For peas use a net:

For Climbing beans around 8" (200mm)apart

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 16:24:01 »
That's very helpful. Thank you. I'm sowing direct, so will

Peas: put up a net and plant a seed every 2 inches? Is this only one side of net or both. If both how far from net do you go. I think last year I made it too congested.

Is it with very tall peas like Telephone that poles are sometimes used

Ps Your site is the first time I realised French beans were not what I thought :) very informative.

With beans what length of pole do you favour?
Jackie

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 16:46:47 »
Peas: put up a net and plant a seed every 2 inches? Is this only one side of net or both. If both how far from net do you go. I think last year I made it too congested.

One side of the net it doesn't matter which

The common way to sow peas is to make a shallow trench about one inch(25mm) deep and 4""-6" (100-150mm) wide and sprinkle the seeds thinly along the trench, most people are not too precise with measuring them it's sufficient that they are spread out rather than in groups.

The reason my peas look as if they have been measured out is because I start them off in cell trays so I lay the contents of the cell one by one along the trench.

Is it with very tall peas like Telephone that poles are sometimes used

I don't know that variety but if I were growing a tall variety I would just use a higher net.

Most people are governed by the length of the canes they can get which is usually 8' or 6'

You can tie two canes together if you want greater height but I see no point as then I would't be tall enough to harvest the beans.

You could consider using wire in lieu of canes the choice is your.

I hope that helps!

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 16:56:12 »
Thank you. Last year I used pig net and planted both sides and they looked congested...so now I know :)

Can anything be planted the other side or would that be too shady...I was wondering if I could put a line of carrots or lettuce or beetroot.
Jackie

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 17:17:41 »
Can anything be planted the other side or would that be too shady...I was wondering if I could put a line of carrots or lettuce or beetroot.

Not knowing your layout I am not sure what you mean???

You can certainly grow a row of anything along side them providing it is at least a foot away from the base of the net, as you have experienced peas can become quite bushy meaning if you sow too close the pea haulms will cover what ever you have sown.

Then there is the harvesting of the peas I often find it an advantage if I can harvest from both sides of the row.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 20:39:46 »
If using a net for peas or beans, ensure that you have a "linewire" at ground level,otherwise you may find the whole net moves in the wind, pulling up your plants roots ,with terminal outcome.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 20:56:49 »
Good point Ancell as you see my netting is made of wire not plastic, which caters for the point you make.

I have found that even with wire netting in exposed situations I have to put in stiffening supports as the wind can do this even to wire netting.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 21:11:52 »
I hadn't thought of that at all. So I use wire and use ground ties to make sure the net stays put.
Jackie

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 23:11:51 »
 This is what I do ..Hammer two stout poles in the ground  Dig a shallow trench and throw /place peas about 2" apart Then    a plastic pea and bean net stretched between the poles  ( net and  stems at the end of cropping then can be took up and burnt )and stout wire stretched top and bottom  which is woven in though the net  this is put up  at the time of planting up the middle of the row so peas can climb up both sides of the net

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 09:50:43 »
Most people are governed by the length of the canes they can get which is usually 8' or 6'

Bearing in mind that about 20-30cm rots off the bottom every year I go for the 8' ones when I can get them.

They tend to be cheaper by the foot and it also saves the time you spend shopping for them every few years.

They start off as bean poles then move to smaller plants every other year - tall peas, then medium peas/tomatoes, then peppers etc. and finally markers for the ends of rows - but most of them have completely disintegrated by this poimt.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 17:47:17 »
8ft for beans i use wire grills for my peas at harvest time just pull the whole grill up job done ill take some pics im the morning and post them been away allweekend just had a look around the plot things have really shot up will not be there much this week hospital tomorrow  then in london daugther singing at royal festival  hall on weds thurs oh has hospital so god only knows when im going to get my runners in
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal