Author Topic: Rhubarb question please help  (Read 2348 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Rhubarb question please help
« on: May 03, 2014, 13:41:08 »
I bought two new rhuabarb crowns of the lovely sounding Fultons Strawberry Surprise.

One is grown on nicely but the other one the leaves keep rotting off.  They are in identical pots, with identical recycled compost a few inches apart.  The poorly one has finally grown another leaf and I really want it to do well.  I have pulled the compost from around the growing point.  Has anyone any suggestions please

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Rhubarb question please help
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 15:30:09 »
I think you have done what I would do...try to keep too much moisture away from growing point and hope that the root will root properly before giving it good covering again.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 17:08:06 »
I think because of the rain it is too wet, and because the other has a large leaf the soil has remained drier as it drips off it.  I am hoping the sun shine will perk it up.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 22:48:03 »
I think because of the rain it is too wet, and because the other has a large leaf the soil has remained drier as it drips off it.  I am hoping the sun shine will perk it up.

So do I.  The only other thing I would consider is taking it out of the pot and having a look at the roots.  Is anything eating them?  Is the soil in the pot compacted or does it drain ok?

Good luck with it.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 06:12:07 »
It is in 100% recycled.  I have several other rhubarbs getting going that way.  The rest are doing better than fine.  It normally makes them jet propelled.   I suppose the root could be going rotten underneath.   

I got it from T&M not sure why for me they are not that good nowadays I used to love them.  My garden was filled from their catalogue 20 years ago.  I got Stockbridge arrow from them and only managed 1 from two plant and two replacements.  Though that is now enormous.

sunflower

• Half Acre
  • it doesn`t cost a thing to smile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 19:40:42 »
Ive had stuff from T&M this year and have been disappointed. Plants have died and delivery is so slow.
Light of my life!

GREGME

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 13:50:54 »
Hi I bought this variety from t&m on a 2 for 3 offer - I like the flavour a lot it but I have to say all 3 plants are different in size and shape despite similar conditions- one even likes to shoot its stalks and leaves out horizontally.  Only t&m sell this so maybe it's not yet perfected.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 16:04:35 »
I don't buy plants from T&M or their subsidiary Van Meuwen anymore. I've been too disappointed too often.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal