Author Topic: composting fern  (Read 4566 times)

small

• Hectare
composting fern
« on: December 04, 2013, 12:35:11 »
We haven't got a composting section, so I'll try here....I've got some huge clumps of fern, just the ordinary garden stuff, which get cut back now. In previous years, I've put the fronds on the bonfire, but I wondered if anyone composts them? I'm a bit worried that the midribs will just end up as twiggy bits instead of rotting down - what do others do please?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: composting fern
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 13:04:50 »
Oh yes...you can compost it...BUT...it can take little longer to break down than rest the stuff.
Saying that...I do collect bin liners full of bracken every year to make ericaceous-type compost for myself.
I spread the bracken (that is even more tougher) on lawn and run lawn mower over it to chop it smaller. Once the compost heat up..the bracken does break us as well as any other material and I haven't had problem with 'bits'.

Other good use for your fern is ,using as winter mulch...weighed down it will help more tender plants roots to keep cosy. :icon_cheers:
Or as dried leaves you can use it as 'packing' if you have any tender tubers to over winter in GH.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 16:30:01 »
Thanks Goodlife, I don't see the boss agreeing to the lawnmower idea but I'll chop with a spade and stamp around a bit, if I don't try I'll never know will I. I'm building up layers of leaves and nettles atm so I'll interweave it with that. I do find making compost so satisfying!

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 08:29:31 »
I collect ferns when they are green in the summer and put them in a pile to go brown Shortly after my Parsnips get frosted I shall be laying a good thickness of the brown ferns over my to keep the soil a little frost free in the winter to allow me to dig them up with out using a pick After use I pile all the old ferns onto my compost heap and water it all with well stored Pee cover the lot then with card board and black polythene It will be ready for mulching around about June next year

small

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 11:18:18 »
That's a good idea about the parsnips, a couple of years ago I had to buy parsnips for Christmas in a rush because they were so solidly frozen.  Now to find a way of stopping the fern from blowing all over the garden instead of staying put...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal