Author Topic: Maybug  (Read 2992 times)

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
Maybug
« on: May 24, 2012, 23:13:00 »
Well I said recently I hadn't seen one, so who pops in for a visit tonight  :)

Ninny

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
Re: Maybug
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 23:20:03 »
Well I was thinking that you must be having it really bad down south if you hadn't seen any mayflies yet. I've had a swarm outside the living room window every dry evening for weeks.

Now I understand what you meant. What a curious looking little beasty. I've never seen one up this way.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 12:39:56 »
I've not seen or heard any yet, usually have quite a few about.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 13:20:56 »
I am really frightened of them.  I nearly went over a cliff in Dorset several years ago when a swarm of them came near me as I was so terrified.  I often find their lava when digging up the garden especially if removing turf.  I take delight in feeding them to the chickens knowing that there will be a few less to terrify me.

Now many people are scared of spiders, but they don't bother me.  It's the flying creatures such as maybugs, craneflies and wasps that I really hate.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 22:56:13 »
I used to catch them as a child, put one in a matchbox and take it to school for the day. I would let it go when I got home, I used to love how they clung on to my skin and walk around my hands (coz they dont tend to fly in daylight).

Strange how we change as we get older because I dont like them at all now. It gives me the creeps to think they were once my school day buddies  :-X
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Coastie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 13:50:54 »
I was going to post today to see what the thing was that I found in my house.  Here's the picture and it looks a lot like your maybug and I don't remember seeing them before.

Can't see how to attach picture so will post later when I find out.

Coastie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 16:15:29 »
Here's my picture.
Easy with some help.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 23:11:40 »
I was going to post today to see what the thing was that I found in my house.  Here's the picture and it looks a lot like your maybug and I don't remember seeing them before.

Can't see how to attach picture so will post later when I find out.

That's a maybug Coastie, it's really called a cockchafer beetle. They only live for eight weeks as a beetle but it takes them a while to reach that stage. I think of them as a huggable bug as once they get on your finger they don't want to leave you. They also land upside down on the garden path and can't right themselves unless there is something to grab on to, so if I see one it's put on it's feet. I've also read that they feed on oak tree leaves and having two of those in close proximity to the garden, that's why we see them every year.

Star, I used to collect the hairiest of caterpillars as a child and have a "Caterpillar Zoo", wouldn't go near those for love or money now  ;D

Ninny

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 23:19:12 »
I am really frightened of them.  I nearly went over a cliff in Dorset several years ago when a swarm of them came near me as I was so terrified.  I often find their lava when digging up the garden especially if removing turf.  I take delight in feeding them to the chickens knowing that there will be a few less to terrify me.

Now many people are scared of spiders, but they don't bother me.  It's the flying creatures such as maybugs, craneflies and wasps that I really hate.

:o Gosh that must have been terrifying for you. I can remember having a stag beetle fall into my hair on my way to primary school, I had really long hair then, possibly about 5 years old a scream that could curdle milk! Hubby and the children hate spiders so I am "spider monitor" in our house, usually in the bathroom where a plastic jug catches them and then launched into the garden only to come back the next day. Once bitten by a garden spider and so I only pick up the harvesters and craneflies now.

ninny

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal