Author Topic: Determinate versus semi determinate  (Read 3452 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Determinate versus semi determinate
« on: May 21, 2016, 20:57:52 »
This site has a nice illustration for identifying between determinate and indeterminate by how the flowers are positioned
http://hattiesgarden.com/questions/difference-determinate-indeterminate-tomatoes/
BUT
How does this apply to semi determinate. Are their flowers the same as determinates but on a taller plant?
Jackie

rollingrock

Re: Determinate versus semi determinate
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 07:17:51 »
the following link might helpful
http://www.donnan.com/tomatoes.htm
ps google is your friend
psps flower position does not really matter.
pspsps if flowers and it get pollinated properly you will get tomato; if not the flower fall off.
the growth type of tomato plant  is irrelevant whether it is micro,dwarf,semi-dwarf, determinate,semi-determinate or indeterminate to the ultimate goal which is ripe tomatoes to eat.   
I could say more but clothes drier is done and sheets are calling to be put on my bed! so to all a good night.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 08:18:30 »
Hector, the indeterminate  aka vine aka cordon goes on till frost, the determinate ends with a flower truss and usually sets all it's fruit in one go, The semi will have a flush of fruit , may ease off then have another  but it will grow   like an indeterminate till frost , it doesn't end in a flower truss. They are often bushy and wide. I prefer to give them lots of space, and although I do English prune on some tomatoes and US prune on others I let the semi have free reign unless it really gets out of hand. Some varieties of semi grow different to others, some are quite controlled and others are maniacs. Don't worry about the flowers, pretend it is funny indeterminate. What variety is it.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 10:18:54 »
Thanks both.

Jeannine, I'm growing two new varieties, Garden Gem ( determinate) and Garden Treasure ( indeterminate)

Unfortunately three of the seedlings labels have gone.....and its those which are flowering.

I was wondering if I could tell now using flower position.

Rollingrock, that's a good link. Thanks

I am cross with myself regards the label. Outside crows pull out labels but this is in the greenhouse, so it's me.
Jackie

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 19:47:45 »
You could follow the US way and not prune at all. If you prune the indets it is OK  either way but you shouldn't prune the dets, so of you prune neither you will be fine, any other ID is not really possible in small plants, although it is possible to see true dwarfs by their foliage.

I think there has been doubt as to the stature of Gem, most claim it to be determinate and some semi, I would therefore definitely not prune the Gem. The fruits are very different is size but that  doesn't help you know. The flowers may be smaller on Gem but that is not a definite by any means.

Curious as to where you got your seeds, I remember they were sold by donation in the beginning and sometimes hard to get especially Treasure . I was offeerd shares on them last year but I didn't accept as I have so many already.  Is this your first time sowing them

Have fun, they are still fairly new so they could be interesting

XX Jeannine

ps..They are hybrids
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 20:18:15 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal