Author Topic: Emails sent but not Received  (Read 3367 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Emails sent but not Received
« on: September 29, 2011, 23:06:48 »
Here's a problem and I hope some kind person can shed some light on it. We are sent a newsletter via email from a club we belong to, but they don't arrive here. They always have in the past, from a different source (talktalk), but the new sec insists that it is our email address that is at fault.He says that because we have a btinternet address with 3 numbers in it, it wont deliver. Nothing in junk. All other emails arrive ok. Personally I think he's talking a load of old tosh and the fault must lie with his system(Fasthosts, though initiated under his own domain) but he is trying to blind me with science...twit. He doesn't get error messages apparently, and so assumes we have received his mail.
Any one got an explanation? Shall I go and eat humble pie?
Smile, it confuses people.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
Re: Emails sent but not Received
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 23:12:53 »
I've no idea really but have you tried sending him an email ? could he not then hit the reply buttton ?
or is your spam filter blocking it ? I sound like I know what I'm talking about ,sadly untrue but have read similar topics  :)
sanity is overated

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 23:33:39 »
I've no idea really but have you tried sending him an email ? could he not then hit the reply buttton ?
or is your spam filter blocking it ? I sound like I know what I'm talking about ,sadly untrue but have read similar topics  :)

It's well worth checking the "blocked" and Spam folder.

I agree sending an email and asking him to hit the "reply" button and return it would be a start to see if that gets through.

(A very inexpert opinion I might add!!.......mine I meant macmac not yours.)   ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 23:35:17 by Aden Roller »

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 23:38:08 »
A lot depends on how big the mailing is.

News letters can be a nightmare being a high volume mailing. A lot of hosting services will stop a mailing after a certain number have been sent from their default mail settings.

Also receiving servers can also automatically stop emails if a sudden flood hit them with the same subject/contents etc.

Some hosting providers have special newsletter applications built in which take a bulk mailing list and then sends them out at a slow rate like one a minute which avoids the above issues.

Another thing that can stop emails is if people on the mailing list report them as spam or if the mailing list has many non active email addresses.
It is all designed to try to reduce spam at the end of the day.
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 23:55:37 »
I have sent him emails which he receives. I'm assuming he tries to reply but is not successful as he then sends me a copy in the post. I have scoured all my settings but can't find anything amiss. The letter is usually one or two pages. Never had a problem with this before. :(
Thanks all.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 00:07:23 »
I have sent him emails which he receives. I'm assuming he tries to reply but is not successful as he then sends me a copy in the post. I have scoured all my settings but can't find anything amiss. The letter is usually one or two pages. Never had a problem with this before. :(
Thanks all.

Maybe an email to your internet service provider might throw some light onto the problem.

I'd forgotten that I often found mail not getting through when I worked for a local education authority and used their email service. They had an incoming filter system to prevent clogging and spam. It worked so very well (??) that I often found electronic documents (especially any with photos) simply did not arrive.

It was a nuisance at times as I had to contact the IT admin team to have mail released once I knew it had been sent my way. Secure? Yes but not swift!  ::)

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 00:09:21 »
What is the part of the email address after the @ ?
That is his domain name?

If you do not want to put here in public please PM me with it
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 07:41:00 »
He is taling rot and you can tell him that. BTinterent would not allow you to setup an invalid email address.  Not all mail systems return errors to the senders either so you can't tell much by that.
Sending a reply to oneof your emails is a decent idea!
If he has setup his own domain then he may have neglected something that certain ISP require - technically its a reverse DNS lookup on your domain's MX record - but essentially tells ISP that the mail came from the correct address and some require this to be in place before they accept your mail (his mail!)
So check he has the right address for you, double check any spam or junk folders, check any rules you may have setup on your mail client, check any antivirus progs if they have a mail scanning add on, send him a mail to reply too, add his address to your "whitelist".
If nothing get on to BT and ask why you cant get any mails from his domain name - they may have blacklisted the domain.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 21:58:48 »
We have now solved the problem via another member of our club who is copying all correspondence from said twit and successfully sending it to us!
Thank you all for your help, most of which I understood ;D
Still wondering though if we do have filters set and I've missed them. :-\

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 22:40:56 »
We have now solved the problem via another member of our club who is copying all correspondence from said twit and successfully sending it to us!
Thank you all for your help, most of which I understood ;D
Still wondering though if we do have filters set and I've missed them. :-\

I guess if that is the problem you may find similar problems with mail from other sources so I think I doubt it's the reason.

Pleased to hear you've found a solution / way round it.  

coastiefrank

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 18:40:45 »
Hi,

Barriedalemick has covered all the bases there and I do think the newsletter sender is talking rubbish..  I have my own domain and also send out a monthly newsletter to a group with no broblems, including to btinternet addressees.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal