Author Topic: Windows 7 Update Oddity  (Read 1803 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Windows 7 Update Oddity
« on: April 27, 2011, 21:26:24 »
Downloaded various Updates this morning. Had to shut down the computer to install, as usual. When I restarted it went to Dos. Had to press Return to get it to go to Windows. Then it ran for quite while saying Installing Updates. Do not close the machine. But  the figure of how much it had done never changed from 0%. Eventually Windows started up. But when I went to Start, it said 'Shut Down' This is normal when there are Updates to be installed. So Shut it down and restarted. Went to Windows this time, but again stayed on Installing 0% until Windows began properly. Start still wanted me to Shut down.
In the end I did a System Restore to yesterday and re downloaded the Updates. This time it worked properly.
Question is, was that the right thing to do or was there another course of action?
Gardening is the great leveller.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Windows 7 Update Oddity
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 10:14:31 »
That seems exactly the right thing to do. It sounds as if something went wrong in the startup procedure, probably why you saw the DOS window.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 17:44:54 »
Was just going to ask after your health, Eric - thought I'd better check your posts, because I've been out of it for a while - then saw this.

I've had this several times in the last month. Glad I'm not the only one!!

= Tim

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 14:13:53 »
I had this too. In the end I went in to windows updates and updated from there. It did the trick.
Smile, it confuses people.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal