Author Topic: Allotments possibly under threat  (Read 1546 times)

Geoffwilz

Allotments possibly under threat
« on: April 23, 2011, 22:43:29 »
The government is carrying out a wide ranging review of local authorities statutory duties. One of these duties is to provide land for the use of allotments, if there is sufficient call from local people.

As we all know some local authorities have a very unique way of interpreting their obligations to people, so the removal of any law that demands they should provide adequate provision of land for allotments can only be seen as a step in the wrong direction.

The National Society of Allotment & Lesure Gardeners have posted an extract from the Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1908 Section 23, which this government review could affect. Have a look at their site and if you feel so moved you should make your views known to the authorities - you don't have long!

muddylou

• Half Acre
Re: Allotments possibly under threat
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 18:22:15 »
There is an article today in the Daily Mirror about this,

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/04/27/allotments-under-threat-from-government-red-tape-review-115875-23088892/

There is a petition that can be signed, to protest against this possible threat. I was number 694, I hope a lot of lotty lovers on here will also register their displeasure.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Allotments possibly under threat
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 15:36:18 »
I think this is the fourth thread started on this topic. Could one of the mods merge them and make it sticky? Obviously it's an important topic for all of us so would be good to have the discussion and updates all in one place. (Sorry if this has already been suggested in one of the other threads!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal