Author Topic: frost damaged sweetcorn  (Read 3547 times)

Simon05

• Half Acre
frost damaged sweetcorn
« on: May 05, 2011, 13:17:46 »
I went to my plot today only to find that the sweetcorn plants had frost damage, they were cover with plastic pop bottles but the top 3 or 4 leaves are limp and lifeless, will the plants recover? Luckliy I didnt plant out all the ones I had.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: frost damaged sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 17:17:42 »
They'll be set back at least, but you've got plenty of time to replant if they don't. It's bound to be a risk if you plant this early, but some years you'll get away with it. I just planted the first of mine today.

Simon05

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 18:18:59 »
robert,

thanks for the information, normally I get away with putting them out this early.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 19:02:56 »
Simon, as a matter of interest, where are you in the UK?
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 19:59:01 »
Belt and braces me

I always do two lots. Of all the veg for the allotment.

Some (early)  to take a chance with and some sown a couple of weeks later (kept indoors..well in the greenhouse) in case the first lot fails.

I usually get away with the first lot and give away the second lot to some poor soul who has either forgotten to plant or has lost their first planting for some reason.

It is rather nice to have some to give because the recipient usually feels beholden and when I get a problem with another plant they will offer me their extras.

We need to learn to share.

S
ome one told me they always grew (all plants) 24 seeds, planted up 12 then chose the 6 best.  So what do you do with the rest I asked?

Throw them of course I don't need them....

BUT some one else might, was my reply. Don't you ask ? I queried.

The answer 'NO' was accompanied by a look of 'are you mad, why should I?'.

OK so it is me who is weird. I can not bear having reared from seed a perfect plant then just compost it simply because 'I' don't need it. I have to walk around the allotment site and ask if some one else wants......whatever first

Mothering instinct? Could be.

I have never ever had to compost a plant.

I have, every year had grateful people taken from me my excess AND best of all they ask me if I want their extras. 

These are also never wasted because I will offer out those plants to others and it is rare that there are any left over.

Please try to share if you can. It is so rewarding.

Simon05

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 08:53:32 »
Simon, as a matter of interest, where are you in the UK?

sutton-in-ashfield, nottinghamshire

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal