Author Topic: Tricky dead tree problem...  (Read 3021 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Tricky dead tree problem...
« on: April 10, 2011, 09:29:57 »
My parents moved to Derby last year, and have a small fenced back garden. Right next to their back fence on their neighbours side is a large multi stemmed eucalyptus tree about 40' high. This tree drives them mad because of the dead leaves shedding constantly onto their garden, but now it appears the tree has died off after the harsh winter. All the remaining leaves still on the tree look dead, and there is absolutely no sign of new growth when I looked at it yesterday.

I am a bit concerned that such a large tree, so close to their fence would cause major trauma to either their garden or worse my parents should a branch land on them! I have gently suggested they try and talk to their neighbours about the situation, but my mum is reluctant as they have never spoken to them, and as this is their retirement home does not want to upset anyone by starting a war! By the look of the rest of their garden her neighbours are not keen gardeners and it looks doubtful they might even realise this is a problem. On the other hand, my mum has only just really started gardening for the first time and loves it and I know she is worrying about this a lot, it is spoiling her enjoyment of her new garden Any suggestions as to how we tackle this please?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Tricky dead tree problem...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 15:14:22 »
They grow tall very quick, not the ideal tree for a small garden, perhaps the owners are hoping it will sprout again. But  as it was there before your parents moved in I doubt there is anything they can do about it. They are entitled to remove overhanging limbs, but even then it would be polite to ask first.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 20:07:53 »
Yeah, thanks for that. They didn't really notice it when they looked at the house, apart from the fact it made it a bit more private that end, it doesn't shade the garden at all. I had another look at it this afternoon, it really does look completely dead, all the leaves are retained on it and are all totally brown, and it looks like it flowered? at the end of some of the branches, they are also completely dead looking. Mum is going to leave it for a bit and see if her neighbours do anything with it, just hope it doesn't crash down on top of their conservatory/them before that! ::) ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 20:18:56 »
The thing is: at 40 ft it is going to cost a bit to get a pro in to take it down.  But your M&D have got to start speaking with their neighbours and then ask them about the tree.  If anything to remind them of their liability if it does any damage to them or their property.  But you have already said all this to them.  If it came to the legalities, all they could do would be to cut everything that comes over the boundary and send them a letter about liability.  With any luck it won't get that far.  But if their neighbours don't want to spend the money, your parents may be stuck with it.  Sorry  :(

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 22:55:08 »
Your parents need to express their concern to the neighbours that they think the tree is dead and are worried in case limbs fall into their garden and ask whether the trees owner thinks it is dead.
It is important to let them know of your concern and then go on from their.
It may be possible for a local council tree officer to advise but I am not sure about that, but its worth looking into if the neighbours dont seem inclined to do anything.
Hope that helps. It is best to aproach on a friendly basis  rather than go in heavy handed.
The owner cannot deny knowledge of the problem once they have been made aware of it, and they are responsible for the tree and any damage it does.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 23:07:07 »
I think I would have a chat with them on a casual basis, very low key,some day when they bump into them..mention how sad it is that the tree look like it hasn`t made it through the winter, really commiserate with them, then chat as though you are presuming they will be moving it.  eg.. I guess you will be moving it pretty quickly now and commiserate with them about that too,after all a dead tree can become hazardous quite quickly..right.What a shame. They may not even realise it and might just be grateful to have the chat. Very neighbourly concerned chat,just like we would do if the toms got blight!!

It has probably never entered their minds to move it but if they realise that you feel it is an automatic action to a tree dying it might just work.

Good Luck

XX Jeannione
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 08:15:54 »
Could they use the trunk for anything, support for a climber or use it as a seat.

I went for a back massage last week & several trees have died in the garden. They have been utilised. Two cherry trees were cut to the same height & a board put across. It looks lovely.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 10:52:38 »
Some really good suggestions there folks, many thanks, I'll pass them on! ;D

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 11:26:02 »
I do hope it gets sorted out soon for your parents Deb.
It must be lovely for you having them close by ;D.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal