Author Topic: easy plotting?  (Read 2477 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
easy plotting?
« on: January 13, 2005, 13:15:01 »
Very tentative inquiry, because I do like to plan ahead...

I seem to be rapidly outgrowing my garden, so a small allotment may be required for the summer of 2006 (ie - maybe, getting it this autumn).

What veg could I grow that would only need visiting once a week for a couple of hours? Would big things and long growers (such as spuds, onions, garlic, what else?) cope with this kind of treatment?

how much time would you realistically need to spend at the lottie each week to get good results?

Reminder - very tentative thoughts, so I may change my mind, I just need more room!

(Ps - lottie is about 15 min walk away. I know they have spare plots - I've seen them from the train. But they look rather overgrown.)
gone to pot :D

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
Re: easy plotting?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 18:21:09 »
Hi there - I rarely did any more than a Sunday afternoon, except in school holidays;  I'd grow to harvest in the summer hols, and do the "big" work in the shorter breaks.

Potatoes, brassicas (except caulis - fussy and temperamental; better picking a bit early, rather than come back and find them well past their best next Sunday!), beans and peas, roots, onions/garlic/leeks, salads, pumpkins and squashes all seemed to do well :) .  [PS Add spinach and chard to the list!]

Strawberries don't - well, the plants don't mind, but the fruit "went walkies" :( ! 

Sweetcorn - well what more motivation could you have for a mid-week visit :) :) :)

All best - Gavin

PS  Go on - go for it!  You know you want to :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 07:35:55 by gavin »

Len

• Quarter Acre
  • Len
    • International Allotments
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 22:06:45 »
Novembers Kitchen Garden had an artical Doing Time he reconed 200 hours a year?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 22:50:21 »
Do it do it do it!  ;D

I think it depends how you manage your plot.  If you aren't going to be able to get up there more than a couple of times a week then I do think you would have to look at a mulch to keep the weeds down, that was our problem on our first lottie.  Only visited on Sundays and seemed to spend the whole day weeding!  Got nowhere fast!!  However, growing things like spuds that once they are away smother the weeds would be good and the same with squashes.  And you say now that you would only have a little time, you just wait, once you have your plot, you will find yourself popping down there on balmy summer evenings to pick a couple of courgettes for tea, or an ear of corn or 2...just you wait!  Go for it girl, you have nothing to loose do you, if it doesn't work out for you, well at least you have tried and you won't wonder.  ;D

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 09:27:54 »
Hello.

I generally only get to spend half to one day on my half plot at the weekends (sometimes less), with possibly one or two trips per week to do some watering in the summer evenings if it's really hot. Watering-cans only, no mains water/hosepipes.

Last year I somehow managed to grow two types of spuds, carrots, parsnips, onions, leeks, broad beans, pak choi, radish, beetroot, rocket, lettuce, kohl rabi, tomatoes, pumpkins, courgettes, aubergines, peppers and some lovely flowers. Some crops I planted loads of, some I just 'experimented' with in smaller quanitities (but since there are only two of us we still had loads to eat!). The only things that didn't do very well were the tomatoes (possibly not enough water, but then possibly too much with the wet August) and the pumpkins were a bit small - but very tasty. Probably won't bother with aubergines, pak choi and kohl rabi again. The first didn't give a decent crop for the space required, the other two we didn't use enough of.

If you've got limited time (and are starting from an overgrown jungle) then a half-plot might be more manageable (and you'll get enough produce to feed a family). Maybe once you've conquered the half plot you could expand to a full one in future, if you have market garden tendencies!

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 09:33:44 »
Go on Aqui, do it, you know it makes sense  ;D
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 10:52:32 »
I would hate to put someone of this great hobby of having an allotment ,
But lets be realistic on this one.
If all the time you could manage  on the lotty was 2 hours a week with all the best will in the world it would not be enough..
When the weeds are at their worst as in april may june etc the plot would become a jungle.
BUT I am sure if Aqui did take a lotty when spring came and birds were singing and the  sun was shining etc .Aqui would somehow manage more than 2 hours a week ..What other hobby gives you exercise, a brill sun tan and veggies etc the like You can,t buy and gets rid of the stress of all the rushing about ..cheers Jim

Cheers .. Jim

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 10:54:59 »
Cant add much to waht others are saying, but do try and go for it.

You mention the plot may be a bit overgrown so for the first year you might not have time to clear everything but that is not a problem. Clear what you can and use that space to try out things. Cover the rest of the plot with something to smother the weeds and if you are still motivated this autumn start on another section to bring it in hand.

Time requirements is very season dependant. I get to my plot only at weekends now as it is dark in the evening but that is fine, hardly any weeding needed and I dig for an hour or so then harvest waht we need for the week.

In summer I nip there most days on the way home from work, you will see me weeding in a suit if you pop by, for half an hour or so. Once a week I may go back after supper for an hour or 2. Weekends I will go for 3 or 4 hours a weekend and get most things done.

Take it slow and steady, plan you time and your cropping and you will be fine.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 11:10:46 »
Haha, that's a great mental image Jerry, weeding in a suit  ;D
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 11:20:51 »
Haha, that's a great mental image Jerry, weeding in a suit  ;D

One has one's standards you know!
;-)

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/