Author Topic: odd one - chickens and ground over winter......  (Read 1804 times)

beanie3

• Half Acre
odd one - chickens and ground over winter......
« on: October 09, 2010, 20:06:14 »
Hi,

okay - i need some advice.  My chickens run has got very mucky and very wet following the last few weeks rain.  We have had some dry days here and has dried the ground a little but i want to add something like bark? so the chickens don't get water logged over this winter - is this a good idea?  The ground is a little wet still will by putting bark on keep it wet and smelly?  Would love some advice around this.......

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: odd one - chickens and ground over winter......
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 20:13:10 »
chopped 'elephant grass' is the best stuff!!  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 20:42:53 »
we used to use a bale of straw, they loved it, the straw covered the ground eventually and helped keep the run drier, we had a roof over part of it for shelter  :)
we also brough in some bark chippings, they loved scratching around in them  :)

rog_pete

• Quarter Acre
  • the photo from 10 Dec when took over the plot
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 11:15:22 »
there was an article this month in Grow Your Own magazine about this very issues

The best thing they trialled was hemp horse bedding.  I have sourced some for £8 a bale from the local horse supplies shop and have put it in the run, the girls have loved it, its kept it dry and mud free!  They say hemp bedding is good as the water is absorbed into the bottom of the material and keeps the top dry.

Straw/Bark/Wood chips are not good as they absorb water and this can make the problem worse.

Just thought I would throw that into the pot.
Rog n Pete

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 17:07:37 »
I use aubiose, hemp bedding.  In summer I change it about every month (my girls' run is on slabs) but it winter it packs down, doesn't smell, and I just sprinkle new on top every so often.  It is great for compost and about a million times more absorbent than shavings.  Well, quite a lot more anyway ... ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal