Author Topic: Cottage Cheese  (Read 2988 times)

queenbee

• Acre
Cottage Cheese
« on: August 03, 2010, 23:06:18 »
Just had my supper, cottage cheese and chives (chopped and home grown chives) Does anyone remember your mother or grandmother making home made cottage cheese. My mother used milk that was curdling and hung it on the washing line in a muslin cloth so that the liquid dripped out and the result was cottage cheese. She added all kinds of things, chives, pineapple [tinned] not a very hygienic way to make cheese but we never suffered stomach bugs.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Cottage Cheese
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 18:34:48 »
Why in Locations and sites? ;)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 21:29:57 »
Because there's no dedicated cheese board! (sorry rubbish joke)

Actually my dad says his mum made cottage cheese - hung it over the tap in the kitchen. Sounds like a good idea.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 21:34:00 »
I made it regularly until the last few years plus other cheeses too.Still have my  books if I can help.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 21:55:18 »
Jeannine you are a mine of infrmation ;).

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 22:04:31 »
No, I am just an old fashioned broad who used to be self sufficient..practically.

We also used to dry, can, smoke etc make soap, soap flakes cordials etc. I even made tofu from scratch once--just once!

I still make my own convenience foods and package them ready to go.. thought for a while we should have a thread on that.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 22:18:35 »
Nothing wrong with old fashioned. I love it. What a good idea for a thread.

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 22:28:36 »
Jeannine did you used to make any sweets? Whenever my son has his mates round i usually make choc chip cookies. Any ideas for something different? They are mostly 16+! ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 01:10:03 »
Do you mean sweets as in candies.. goodies as we used to call them in the UK years ago..like toffee or boiled sweets etc etc or do you mean sweets as in desserts.

The answer to both is yes but what are you looking for .

Do you just want something sweet and tasty they can pick up in their hands and snack on, like a cookie or a bar type cookie or a brownie.

XX Jeannine

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 22:59:00 »
Something sweet that they can just pick up and go. I usually get twixs, mars bars that sort of thing but then it starts getting expensive in holidays when theres a lot of them come round!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 23:59:57 »
Hi, it sounds as though bar cookies would be your best thing. I have tons of recipes but may I suggest soemthing to look at before I start typing. (still happy to)

I rarely do this but you need to know about this and can guarantee you will be thrilled.

Go to Amazon UK

tap in under books   Company's Coming 150 squares

This will bring up the most fantastic book I have ever found for just this purpose.. I kid you not.

You can get a copy for about 3 quid and free posting .

I cannot recommend any book of this type higher, it is a must have.

Take a look and see what you think. I am still happy to type but you may want to get this one.

There is a whole series of books from this author, I have most..this is fabulous. It is a Canadian book and is all in cup measures which is quicker and easier than weighing. Real easy to get used to

If you feel like it there is an equally good one called Muffins and More which is another must have. I use the banana bread recipe on page 44 and make it inti muffins, taked 3 minutes to mix , oven is by that time hot,and they cook while I am in the shower.. hot for breakfast.

Amazon have the squares book I know for sure, I am not sure about the muffin one.

Let me know if you want me to type recipes

XX Jeannine

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 09:58:36 »
When I had the goats, I use to make loads of cottage cheese, bucket of milk, drop of rennet, leave overnight hang it in a muslin sack and Roberts your mother's  brother.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 10:06:45 »
Jeannine did you used to make any sweets? Whenever my son has his mates round i usually make choc chip cookies. Any ideas for something different? They are mostly 16+! ;D
I used to make bars which were a mixture of rice crispies, toffees and chocolate. I just remember because one of my younger nephews made exactly the same thing last year (and was very pleased with himself) - just like I had been when I did it, at about his age. :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal