Author Topic: Asparacus  (Read 1948 times)

JoeCocker

• Quarter Acre
Asparacus
« on: March 22, 2010, 08:52:49 »
Can you grow other plants in Asparagus beds ie Salad leafs etc, or should they be kept isolated?

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: Asparacus
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 09:07:00 »
No!

And don't grow weeds in the same bed either!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 09:35:11 »
I have successfully popped lettuce seedlings in. By the time the fern is becoming tall (late June), you'll have eaten the lettuce. I feel there is a lot of empty space in an asparagus bed April - June, and their roots are really deep and extensive, and a few shallow rooted catch crops do no harm at all.

JoeCocker

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 09:40:47 »
Thanks, i didn't want to waste growing space, particularly as if could be two to three years before i get to pick for the table

adeymoo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 13:10:36 »
Interesting point Trevor D. I have a grass path next to the asparagus raised bed and couch grass has invaded into the bed from the path. I guess at this time of year hand digging is the only method of removal?

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 13:21:29 »
You can spray with roundup at this time of year adeymoo - it's what commercial growers do. And before people start with the "I wouldn't eat stuff coated in roundup" comments, you already do if you buy non organic asparagus!

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 14:58:55 »
I have successfully popped lettuce seedlings in. By the time the fern is becoming tall (late June), you'll have eaten the lettuce. I feel there is a lot of empty space in an asparagus bed April - June, and their roots are really deep and extensive, and a few shallow rooted catch crops do no harm at all.
I harvest all of my asparagus until midsummer day, then allow the plant to produce fern, this ensures that the plants grow sufficiently strong to provide next years crop,  and no, I don't grow anything else in the asparagus bed.
All plants, whether deep or shallow rooted, need, and use nutrients. I like asparagus, and don't intercrop with anything that will diminish my crop. ;)
You couldn't make it up!

TrikiDiki

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 19:04:52 »
The biggest asparagus plant on our allotment site is a self seeded rogue which grows at the bottom of the fence of the neighbouring field. The field is regularly grazed by sheep, I don't know if the sheep eat what grows their side of the fence. It grows through about 8 inch high grass.

They are very robust, I'm sure they won't object too much to a neighbourly lettuce as long as you keep it well fed and wetted.

I'm certainly going to catch crop between the asparagus in my newly planted bed.

I'm also going to pinch some of the spears from the rogue if I can get there first.

JoeCocker

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 08:54:02 »
I planted my asparacus on the 28 March 10 and there are still no signs? should it be up by now?

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 10:03:51 »
I planted mine out a couple / 3 weeks ago and they're well up now... but I expect it depends on where you are, how cold the ground is etc etc.

Alison

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 13:00:06 »
I grow parsley in my asparagus bed with much success.  I hear basil is also a good companion.
It'll be better next year

JoeCocker

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 09:15:51 »
Well i don't believe it, my asparagus has finally come up. it was in the middle of the lettuce. its not very thick , but hopefully it will get better next year

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal