Author Topic: trade secrets  (Read 3368 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
trade secrets
« on: March 26, 2004, 20:02:20 »
I KNOW it's not just gardening, but I reckon the program has been so helpful that it's worth another mention.

On someones advice, I ordered the book through Amazon, only to find that it was 'out of print'. Never give up, so checked the beeb and it's there, large as life - & 2 of them. SO - I've ordered both.

Meanwhile, cleaned all the silver with the old trick of boiling with ally foil. She noticed!! = Tim

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
Re:trade secrets
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 13:40:37 »
Silver stars all round then Tim!  Way to go  ;D ;D ;D
Muddy Boots

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 21:54:52 »
No need to boil the silver, tim. Just a couple of tablespoons of washing soda in a bucket (plastic) of warm water with your sheet of `ally` at the bottom works just as well and is a lot less risky.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2004, 08:33:28 »
Oh, yes - THAT'S it - that's the one we used to do - not the book one. But it worked fine! = Tim

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 15:48:51 »
So we got it - 284 large pages, with a tip every 4 lines!! = Tim

DolphinGarden

• Acre
  • skip skavenger
    • Facility of the Month, Warrington Cycle Camaign
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2004, 14:22:45 »
I was going to start a new thread, but persevered to page four for TRADE SECRETS.

My OH complained to me recently that when she wears a dress (not often) and she leans forward the dress falls too loosely forward, leaving her embarrassingly exposed.  So, as I saw on the BBC series about haberdashers, if you get a 4" plastic plant label, the ones with a hole in the tip. First you sow it to the vee in the bust of the dress, then clip the label into your bra and it's kept close to your chest.

Other tip I had in mind was to save walking in and out the the garden composter, if you've a long garden and it's far away, or just to save you going in and out. If you've a space between your kitchen appliances or like me the sink and the cooker, I put an empty Weetabix box, with the labels of one end cut off and in the bottom of the box for extra base.  Even cut up an egg box, half dozen for us, and it would help soak up moisture for example damp tea bags.   Then after a few days or a week, bring the whole lot out the the composter.

good luck

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2004, 16:00:31 »
I'm afraid we have a pop-up bin between the 2.  But with the soak-away, yes. Amazing how quickly it fills in this house - with so much foliage from garden produce. I mean - with 2 heads of celery this am, & 4 leeks? And 6  large potatoes. And the big bin is 30 yards away - down an often icy path. = Tim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal