Author Topic: Tree protection orders  (Read 6076 times)

Cruz

• Not So New ...
Tree protection orders
« on: February 08, 2010, 20:52:28 »
I believe it is an urban myth that some trees in the UK simply cannot be cut down because all of the species, such as elm, are protected.

Can anybody confirm that?

Also, TPOs are applied by the council, but seldom, if ever, on an allotment, because allotment legislation seems to prohibit the growing of non-fruit trees on a plot anyway and a TPO cannot therefore apply.

Is that correct?

Also, if a 100-year-old elm tree had been cut down on a plot, how big would the circumference of the trunk be? Had such a tree existed on an allotment, would it have had a TPO applied?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Tree protection orders
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 22:55:53 »
It might or might not have had a TPO; you'd have to check with the local Council, though I'm sure the committee would know if it had. In the case of my site, the landlord (the Council leases the land) doesn't like trees being felled, though they're flexible about anything which is a nuisance, and isn't too precious. If it's a mature oak we have to live with it, but those would predate the site anyway.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 23:46:29 »
There is nothing in the allotment legislation to prohibit the growing of trees on allotments.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 23:51:51 »
Many allotments forbid you from growing trees.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 08:44:36 »
And your point is?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 08:46:36 »
Whatever you want it to be  :P

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 12:45:29 »
Tree preservation orders are rarely served by any council on trees on their own land. The fact that they have a tree officer usually negates the need for them. The tree officer should assess all the councils trees on an individual basis.  (Any Elm that was 100 yr old would almost certainly have suffered with 'dutch elm disease', by the way, and therefore, would have to be felled)
This system doesn't always work,  our town council allowed a 400 + yr old Mulberry to be removed in a local car-park, claiming it was a Sycamore!! :(
You couldn't make it up!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 13:21:32 »
Here is a bit on TPO's or private properties!
http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Trees-TPO's/TPO's.htm f
There is nothing in the allotment legislation to prohibit the growing of trees on allotments

Perhaps so but!

as in this case where you get 'local byelaws'

Our allotments have such a byelaw and it is written into our agreement form.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 13:22:52 »
This system doesn't always work,  our town council allowed a 400 + yr old Mulberry to be removed in a local car-park, claiming it was a Sycamore!! :(

Graaah! How awful.  :(
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 17:41:19 »
In theory, you're not normally supposed to grow perennial crops on allotments, and this is sometimes taken to mean trees. The reason is that landlords don't want to have to pay compensation if the site is closed. At the same time, there must be many sites which have trees which predate the allotments.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 14:50:05 »
we would be fined 20 grand if we felled any of the trees with tags on at our site.if they are tagged i presume they have TPOs on em.im having a right old job getting the tress pruned that are blocking light from 5 plots.(mine included,only gets light to half of it)
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 12:35:18 »
Hmm... if I was likely to be keeping my current plot for more than another year or two (moving to a different area, have already got an application in for a plot there instead) I'd be tempted to do some "guerilla pruning" on some willows just down the site from me that steal the evening sun from one end of my plot.....  They're on our side of the boundary fence and it's been a while since they were last properly coppiced.....looking at them I reckon they'll fall over in the next decade, they're not very balanced anyway and the tops growth is getting oversized....

chrisc

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 12:49:14 »
Chris, if you take a very   close look at the willows, you'll probably find that the recent heavy snowfall has snapped a lot of the offending growth, resulting in some extremely perilous branches just hanging there? It would be a downright public spirited act to remove this danger, particularly as forecasted heavy winds are going to bring them crashing down? ;)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 03:40:38 »
I'll probably only be there one more season..... I'm moving and it looks like (fingers crossed) I've managed to sort a plot near where I'll be moving to...... This year my "old" plot will get things that don't need much doing except weeding between plant and harvest (maincrop spuds, squashes, onions and shelling beans) and I'll not be too fussed about the willows anymore...

chrisc

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 04:29:54 »
I once found a site which listed tree preservation orders on it by post code, so I know it exists

If any one wants to find out about a tree in their area they can always google it.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 22:13:52 »
Interesting topic!
PLEASE don't let your Council propose a Conservation Order within your Village boundary without serious consideration on your part!
The local District Council here has just produced a Draft Appraisal for the village I live in which includes the allotment
area.
The allotments are 'loosely' managed by a team of volunteers - no fixed rules- all enjoy the plots & help in keeping the ground cleared for interested future plot holders.
The green rub is, that self seeding ash trees have infested a large potential area & one of the conditions for a conservation area is that 'felling of any tree with a diameter in excess of 75mm. is not permitted'.

OH Great!!!! Has anyone tried to keep up with the growth of an ash tree/ tried to dig the root out after it reaches 5ft?
I have neighbours with willow/leylandii within 4ft. of my house. With gentle reasoned persuasion I've managed to see the back of the willow & the severe pruning of the leylandii.

With Councils, however, there is a financial crisis on?

Conservation is a 'Cash Cow' & they will protect their jobs. Our village has until March 23rd. to decide on the issue which first raised it's head in 2005 with little information since.

The proposal was put to the Village 23rd. February 2010, not a lot of time there then?

Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 22:24:10 »
Get in there with a power saw quick!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal