Author Topic: chicks  (Read 1510 times)

cindy

• Not So New ...
chicks
« on: July 07, 2009, 19:52:47 »
my chicken has just hatched 6 chicks this morning, I am led to believe the chicks need some kind of vaccinations? if so what are they and where do I obtain these from ? vets? can anyone help please
Cindy ???

jonny211

• Acre
Re: chicks
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 08:25:26 »
I think Coccidiosis is a killer of chicks, but am not sure if you vaccinate or treat as necessary.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 14:40:58 »
I think the "vaccinations" are given - on the large farms - via their drinking water or misted/sprayed over them!

My ex bats have been "vaccinated" against salmonella and various other nasties.  But how accurately they have been or whether they should have been updated is a mystery to me!

They are fit and well so probably will leave my lot alone now!

O B

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 10:52:28 »
large breeders inject the chicks at day olds.
hobby breeders like my self no need. Its expensive and if you follow a good care programe no need. Like dont let the chicks near full grown hens only the broody if you used one. Clean water and fresh chick crumbs each day. Clean the poo daily ( I keep mine on newspaper ) all is fine.
When there 12 weeks or so they can be added to other hens. I have never had a sick chick I cluck more then a mother hen over mine ha ha.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal