Author Topic: creating a topiary ball  (Read 1319 times)

twinkletoes

• Hectare
creating a topiary ball
« on: July 08, 2009, 16:20:58 »
OK - bet this one get ya..............  I have made a ball shaped frame but what I need to know is how/where to put the plant(s) to start?   Do I stick one or two or three in the middle so they grow up through it or do I put them in a circle near the middle or ............??     :-\   Your advice is most welcome.
twinkletoes

twinkletoes

• Hectare
Re: creating a topiary ball
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 13:22:43 »
So I've gotcha all eh?  ;D ;D  Nobody got the answer....... :'(
twinkletoes

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 13:30:59 »
I have two topiary balls I made myself from slow growing box....what plants are you using? Mine only grow a few cm each year, so I put a small bunch of them in the centre of a pot and just trimmed them by eye into a sphere, then subsequently trim once a year into shape. If you are using a frame, I guess you are growing something a bit more vigorous?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 13:44:50 »
Weeeell - I thought I had bought slow growing box  ::) (got it in France). It has little wee leaves, is about 9" tall in its pots and I would guess it has put on about 2" in height since the beginning of June so I don't know whether it is slow growing or not.  Each pot (6) has 3 plants in it.  I am using the frame (just a bit bigger than the size of a football) because I thought it would be easier to shape.  So, I'm going to put one pot of three plants in the middle of my ball frame and wait for it to grow.  Thanks for your help DebP.
twinkletoes

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 14:42:02 »
I've never used mesh. Just let the plant grow till its the size you want then trim off any excess. The real skill is in the patience.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal