Author Topic: Hello From A Newbie Literally :)  (Read 1278 times)

ChrisBro

• Quarter Acre
    • My Allotmment Journey
Hello From A Newbie Literally :)
« on: June 24, 2009, 09:17:17 »
Hello everyone just thought I would make my first post and introduce myself, I am Chris and I live in Pembrokeshire. I have been lurking in this fantastic forum for a couple of weeks now and have to say its an absolute goldmine :)

I have just got my first allotment, yesterday in fact, I was very very lucky getting this as in my county there are only a total of 150 plots for all residents  :o and we are very rural which is even more surprising, the land around here that isn't being used by anybody is unbelievable, yet the council would rater spend money on nice sculptures oh and of course getting things nice and tidy ready for the tourists!!!!

Anyhow I was very very lucky there is a huge waiting list in my county, I rang the man at the council lol thats takes care of these things on Monday, he told me there was a huge waiting list and it would take some time to be allocated a plot, oh dear I said there must be something??? Well it turned out there was 2 very nice plots on their own so not part of a traditional allotment setup that nobody else wanted!!!

Usual story they are very overgrown got a good few weeks of clearing and digging but Im sure I will get ther ein the end, they are very big plots one is nicely (kind of) mowed grass and the other is well a jungle lol, I am in the process of trying to talk him into letting me have the 2 of them as 1 big plot, got to speak to him again this morning about that.

Anyway where they are situated, they are in between 2 houses in the corner of a cul de sac, my 2 neighbours that live in the houses are elderly but have lived there for years and their husbands both passed away now used to have the plots for many years so managed to get quite a bit of info from them last nigh re the soil etc and what success they had over the years and what turned out to be a disaster lol

It seems that although we are mainly a huge farming area with very fertile soil these plots for some reason are very clay'y (is there such a word??) anyway yet another problem for me to over come thought nice raised beds with some decent top soil would solve that one.

As you can see from the images the plots are at them moment seperated by a hedge my plan is to rip out in the middle of the hedge about 3 foots worth to make an opening into the second one, I was thinking of leaving the rest of the hedge in to act as a wind break, Pembrokeshire is a very windly place lol.

There is also a couple of photos of plant and I have no cloue what they are so if anyone can help with that and let me know if any are woth saving that would be great.

I am very much a learner when it comes to this but hey Im a quick learner  ;)

Anyway hello to everyone any advice for a newbie would be greatly appreciated or tips n tricks of what you would do with this land as well.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Follow My Allotment Journey http://www.PembrokeshireAllotment.Com

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Hello From A Newbie Literally :)
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 09:35:28 »
Ditto!  ;D

ChrisBro

• Quarter Acre
    • My Allotmment Journey
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 09:42:29 »
uhhhhh

Duplicate thread my appologies, mods feel free to delete.

First day here and causing trouble already lol  ::)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 09:57:10 »
Welcome to the site Chris.  You will find the people on here very helpful and friendly. 

I think the plants in question are all weeds but I am not sure of their names.  The third one looks like ragwort and is poisonous to many animals. 

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 10:28:45 »
uhhhhh

uhhhhh

;D never mind these things happen. look at the bottom of this thread and you will see as the author of this post you have the ability to lock it. then you will be sure all the great info you are after goes only to one area.

ChrisBro

• Quarter Acre
    • My Allotmment Journey
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 10:35:09 »
uhhhhh

uhhhhh

;D never mind these things happen. look at the bottom of this thread and you will see as the author of this post you have the ability to lock it. then you will be sure all the great info you are after goes only to one area.

Ahaaaaa I see will do that now great idea thanks :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal