Author Topic: Is this normal? New to chicken keeping  (Read 1922 times)

chickenlegs

• Not So New ...
  • Smile! make them wonder what your up to:-)
Is this normal? New to chicken keeping
« on: May 07, 2009, 10:25:05 »
We have 4 chickens which appear to be quite healthy and happy... we have had 5 small eggs up untill today!
Bossy Betty has been VERY NOISEY this morning chasing the others and generally being bossy wants the hen house to herself. Is this normal behaviour? the others have laid thier eggs in much more calmer moods have I just named her spot on? Or does anyone think there maybe a problem?
If there is a problem how do we help her? .......
Sorry if this sounds silly  ::)

Thanks in advance

The goal in life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,

but rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting.

"Holy smoke! what a ride".

elhuerto

• Acre
Re: Is this normal? New to chicken keeping
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 10:40:30 »
I would say that's perfectly normal, she's sorting out the "pecking order" and obviously feels she's top of the tree. I've seen it happen here and things'll calm down til the next time she doesn't get her way. Don't think there's anything to worry about at all, she's just showing her dominance to the others as they probably overstepped their mark in some way.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

chickenlegs

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 10:47:15 »
Thanks for your reply.. I was guessing thats what is was but she was being so verbal (women eh? we are all the same)  ;D  I needed reasurance
Thank you
The goal in life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 10:13:23 »
I would say it is quite normal. Did you get all the hens at the same time? Often introducing new ones can be difficult.

chickenlegs

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 11:35:33 »
Thanks for the reply, as we are now seasoned chicken keepers  ;D ;D ;D all of 2 months...... we have learnt that they all have very different characters so I now can see the Betty was just setting out the rules. We have in fact doubled our family and that said we have been very good in keeping lots of new interest within the run, which is close by our veggie growing area so we make sure when we dig we give them worms and have even planted up some veggies and greens just for them and they know when we are at that space they are going to get an extra treat. This is a great site for tips and advice and has helped us a great deal, well it certainly has reduced the amount of questions we would have had to ask!
I am also proud to say I am as of today a six a day girl!!!! just 2 more to coax into gear... :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal