Author Topic: Brassica bed  (Read 1457 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Brassica bed
« on: May 05, 2009, 08:24:39 »
The brassica bed is 5'x17'. What is the best way to protect the crops. I think the tallest plants will be the Spring crop of PSB. It seems a waste to have to put a large enclosure just for PSB. What do others do? Am I right in thinking PSB can be transplanted several times or is it best to plant it up & inter plant with smaller crops? Does the PSB need covering all the time? We do have pigeons.
Janet

delboy

• Acre
Re: Brassica bed
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 08:44:39 »
Have never transplanted PSB once in the ground - they are started off not in a seed bed but in modules in an unheated greenhouse this month - but they do get interplanted with all sorts of stuff.

Pigeons are the main attackers on all our brassicas and they have the annoying trick of pretty much jumping up and down on the netting over the PSB/Brussels Sprouts so that they can get at the greenery below.

However, if we didn't net the PSB there would not be a crop to eat!

Plus the wind shear means they need staking or they fall over the shop.
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 09:58:18 »
this is ours last year, debris netting  ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 12:33:47 »
Years ago I invested in some lengths of flat (hoop) iron and use thes to cover anything I require covering including brassicas.

This picture shows them being used on my onion bed;

Many other people use pvc water pipe!

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 12:39:09 »
my lovely husband made me wooden frames for our brassicas,like goal posts.smallest size  for turnip,spinach,middle size for cauli,cabbage,romanescau,and tallest for psb tsb sprouts.each end is my *door* for getting in and weeding,and i close/open it with clothes pegs for ease!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 14:47:53 »
my lovely husband made me wooden frames for our brassicas,like goal posts.smallest size  for turnip,spinach,middle size for cauli,cabbage,romanescau,and tallest for psb tsb sprouts.each end is my *door* for getting in and weeding,and i close/open it with clothes pegs for ease!

piccy, piccy, piccy :)

pretty please.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal