Author Topic: Help - Bleeding chicken!  (Read 1693 times)

Smileyk

• Quarter Acre
Help - Bleeding chicken!
« on: March 21, 2009, 16:24:23 »
One of our chickens is bleeding around her comb.  I cleaned her a little but it's still bleeding.  There is blood around her nostril too but I'm not sure if that is coming from inside or where the blood is dripping down.

What do I do?  She seems happy enough but I'd like to stop the bleeding and sort it out.

Smileyk

• Quarter Acre
Re: Help - Bleeding chicken!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 16:34:01 »
Looks like it might be clotting a bit now.  Got another chicken with a closed eye with a big of blood too.  Not sure how the eye is.  Looks like they had a go at each other!  :(

Ok the bleeding chicken seems ok but the one with the closed eye is not.  She's very quiet and not happy and when I tried to gently open the eye, all I could see what blood.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 17:08:59 by Smileyk »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 17:40:46 »
sorry about that, smiley, hope a chicken expert comes along soon, definitely sounds like they've been having a punch up   :-\

Smileyk

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 09:56:29 »
Seems like it was the chicken bully who had a go at them both!

Bleeding one seems ok now but the eye one worried me last night.  I've bathed it and today it's swollen but she is trying to open it.  Not sure how damaged the eye is yet - will try and look later.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 16:17:39 »
Oh girls can fight, especialy when new hens are put in, I use salt water to bath/clean just a teaspoon of salt in half a cup of hot water to dissolve it and bath with cotten wool balls. With eyes use a new cotten ball for each eye and clean from beak end of eye outwards.
Some I know use a cold used teabag on the eyes havent tried it myself but ment to take swelling down. Anything more than a couple of days for the eyes its vets for antibiotics.
Cuts on the comb etc I just clean with salt water and dry with cotten wool ball and put some vicks vapour rub ( or similar stuff) It helps the healing and if a hen pecks at it the taste put them off pecking at it again.
A hen only needs treating for a couple of days with the vicks ( not near the eyes) hope this helps

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 09:44:52 »
I think there are only 2 methods you can use if you have a really dominant hen that is going so far as to wound your other chickens, as this seems to be doing .
One is to isolate it, the other is to eat it. They are usually the best looking bird in your flock too.Probably by being so aggressive  they get first shout at food etc.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 09:46:23 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal