Author Topic: Are these potatoes dead?  (Read 934 times)

lewic

• Hectare
Are these potatoes dead?
« on: February 06, 2009, 13:55:08 »
I stupidly bought £10 worth of seed potatoes a couple of weeks ago, and realised too late that I have nowhere to chit them (live in a bedsit)

They have been in the boot of my car since then.. will the recent cold have killed them off?

Peasticks

• Half Acre
Re: Are these potatoes dead?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 14:10:11 »
I had some in my car boot for about a week when it was really cold at the beginning of the Jan, they were ok but I do have a lot of stuff in my boot so there was a bit of insulation!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 22:51:53 »
If they have been thoroughly frosted they will be very soft and will break up when you press them... all rotten and mushy... if they are firm, even if a bit wizened they will be OK...  :)

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 16:57:47 »
As Saddad says. But keep an eye on em if they are in plastic bags . Paper sacks usually free from a fish and chip shop are ideal...
Cheers .. Jim

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 20:14:06 »
Rescued them from the boot and some of them do look a tad squishy. The earlies have started chitting but they have a strange translucent look to them. They are now in an egg box on top of a shelf with my saucepans, I'll give it a couple of weeks and see if theres any sign of life.

The main crop ones (think I got a bit carried away there buying them now) look a bit healthier, and are in a box on my landing.

Starting to wonder if its actually cheaper to buy organic spuds from Waitrose!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal