Author Topic: In Shock!  (Read 1909 times)

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
In Shock!
« on: January 16, 2009, 18:57:27 »
My 17 year old son has been paying his own car insurance(third party fire and theft)while he was learning to drive.

Yesterday he passed his test at the first attempt and for his sins his insurance has gone up from £727 a year to £1547 a year  :o
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: In Shock!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 19:01:53 »
Not that they are trying to discourage him from driving or anything.......good grief. Good for him for paying his own whilst learning though, I'm impressed! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 22:23:33 »
I suppose now he is unsupervised he is a bigger risk.

My boy had the same problems, but he cut his premium in half by doing the plus pass scheme. Alright it is more costs, but he should be able to do it for less than £200 and then save £400 or £500 off of his insurance.

I suspect he has had quite a few quotes but if he gets his insurance from Ireland it is a lot cheaper and still legal. I don't know what their record is like for paying out on claims. If your son has the usual boys wreck it should not be a problem as they ain't really worth claiming for.

Some of these over priced quotes are just done to frighten you off as they don't really want to insure you and they have to farm the risk out.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 23:47:58 »
When my neice went to Uni about 6 years ago I bought her a £500 car so she could come home at weekends etc.. but I really struggled to get her insured for less than £1000 and she had done the pass plus as well!

Then they wonder why so many drivers are uninsured...  :-X

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 07:55:23 »
He insured himself with an Irish comany which was the cheapest.We were warned it would go up but didnt expect it to be by so much :o

He goes to college and works part time but doesnt earn enough to pay what he has to pay now.....so it looks like my hand is in my pocket yet again...Oh well,such is life.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 08:29:28 »
Crikey! That'll teach him to be young!

Just got my cover to under £1k, with full no claims at aged 33. Never had a claim in me life either!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 09:31:20 »

Just got my cover to under £1k, with full no claims at aged 33. Never had a claim in me life either!

Kinell!

Harley, Ford ranger, vauxhall Corsa, all under 3 years old,  under £400 for the lot, all fully comp. Must be my 45 years ncb ;D

It would nearly be cheaper have a nominal address over here. Very cheap post code for insurance.

To get to what you are paying I would have to lump in my house/contents, boat and caravan insurance.

Peasticks

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 09:40:26 »
The Pass Plus course mentioned above is worth doing.

Could you put him on your insurance cheaper?

Its such a shame that young male drivers are hit hard for insurance, I know there is evidence to say they are likely to have an accident but better to be insured cheaply than not to bother because of the cost - I don't know why these companies don't learn! they end up paying for the uninsured people's accidents anyway through the Motor Insurers bureau so why not be proactive and lower their prices?!

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 09:57:44 »

Kinell!

Harley, Ford ranger, vauxhall Corsa, all under 3 years old,  under £400 for the lot, all fully comp. Must be my 45 years ncb ;D

It would nearly be cheaper have a nominal address over here. Very cheap post code for insurance.

To get to what you are paying I would have to lump in my house/contents, boat and caravan insurance.

Room for four more on the Southern Isle then? I'm moving. Now, what work is there for a former mortgage broker with a bad back and a short attention span?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 10:21:02 »

Room for four more on the Southern Isle then? I'm moving. Now, what work is there for a former mortgage broker with a bad back and a short attention span?

Deck chair attendant in the summer all you can fiddle plus nice tan. Dole all winter all you can fiddle but no tan. ;D

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 14:11:00 »
Crikey! That'll teach him to be young!

yeah but look at what you drive ollie
lbb

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 20:33:42 »
Mine went down a huge amount when we moved to the sticks :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal