Author Topic: Shed roof materials  (Read 2302 times)

lewic

• Hectare
Shed roof materials
« on: September 03, 2008, 21:28:40 »
Have put a temporary tarpaulin over my leaky shed roof, but am wondering about more permanent roofing..

Shed felt lasts "up to 5 years" which doesnt sound too good to me, especially as its likely to get a bashing from the tree above it.

Have seen some corrugated plastic roofing in B&Q, also some flat sheets which look like plastic cardboard. Does anyone know how you fix these onto a roof?

I imagine the corrugated plastic stuff might leak or crack if you didnt do it in the right way. I am thinking that plastic might also be better than shed felt as I could cut it bigger than the roof to create a bit of an awning? Or would that just catch the wind and rip the shed apart?!

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
Re: Shed roof materials
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 21:35:27 »
hi,my choice would be corrugated metal sheets, i would keep an eye out for  any new factories etc being built ,and ask the peeps doing the cladding for any spare sheets ,if you ask nicely they prop give you some proper fixings to .

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 21:40:04 »
Now that's a goody....and this being September you really need to get serious about it.
 Felt is a good roofing material. 5 years is wrong. Felt can last 20 years if looked after. Plastis corry sheeting is not to be recommended for years long use. It yellows, cracks and gets blown away. Also the clear stuff lets lots of sun in and will turn your shed into a hot-house.
 For felt you need a solid top to put it on. This could be planking or marine quality ply.
 You have to decide if your shed is worth spending money on or if a new shed would be a cheaper option. As a stop gap, if you need to over-winter until you decide your options and especially if your shed is a bit 'dodgy'....just lash down the tarp until spring and then weigh-up your options. You might even decide on a different size or position?
Kew.

oakmore2

• Half Acre
  • Rabbit surveillance officer
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 08:36:13 »
I've recently re-vamped an old shed (new floor and new roof and treated it). We decided to go for marine ply and roofing felt. To be honest we did it really cheaply and it was dead easy. Very pleased with the result.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal