Author Topic: Hedge help  (Read 1118 times)

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Hedge help
« on: July 22, 2008, 16:51:10 »
I have a hedge (supposedly!!!) around my front garden.   However the previous owners of the house used the bottom of the garden as a dumping ground & managed to build up a substantial bank of earth, ashes and cinders etc.   As a result a stretch of the hedge has given up and died.

I am having the bank of cr@p removed shortly (it involves a man with mini-digger 'cos there's so much) but it will leave a large gap in the hedge.   I further want to part remove the hedge due to it being a mixture of privet (lovely) and thorn (not bl**dy lovely).

As a temp measure I plan on erecting chicken wire to plug the holes but want a quick, easy & cheap way of filling in the gaps in the hedge.   I had a look at potted privet at my local garden centres & nurseries & the cost nearly made me go toes up.   Whatever I plant will have to grow around the chicken wire as I plan to leave it in situ to make it more difficult for cats etc to get into my garden.

The other things is - once this space is cleared it will be ideal for growing veg, therefore saving me all the aggro of loading/unloading all equipment from the car & the trek to and from the allotment.

All advice and/or suggestions gratefully received

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Angelah

• Not So New ...
Re: Hedge help
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 17:45:34 »
Try looking on ebay for hedging. I was surprised by some of the prices on there for hedging of various types, very reasonable, I've just got to decide what we want and how much of it!!!

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 18:22:02 »
Wrong time of year really so ebay would be the best bet.
If it can wait until November - March you can get bare root privet plants very cheaply then.
http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/product_10273.html

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 21:34:47 »
if you are removing some privet, why not strike them?
You couldn't make it up!

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 22:10:39 »
I've very successfully taken privet cuttings to grow new plants for plugging gaps in the hedge.  They root very quickly.

Alternative as previously mentioned, bare root plants in the Autumn.  Cheap as chips!

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 22:29:05 »
Thanks for all the advice folks.   I've found a website that sells privet hedge cuttings & they are less than £1 each.   They are supplied as bare root cuttings, approx 2 - 3 foot high, in November.   Considering I will have something in the region of a 12 foot gap to plug I think the price is really reasonable.

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal