Author Topic: No of plots per head of population  (Read 3201 times)

MaryM

• Quarter Acre
No of plots per head of population
« on: August 01, 2008, 19:49:47 »
We are trying to get our site extended so allow more plots and we were wondering if anyone had any information about their area in terms of number of plots per head of population-it's a bit of a long shot but anything to help our argument would help

Many thanks

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: No of plots per head of population
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 19:55:36 »
Never heard of anything but I cant see it happening.   If that was the case there would be no waiting lists.    We have 90 plots,   50 or so on waiting lists,  population of the town is 40,000.  So.........if that was right ::)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 20:09:43 »
Yes, there is a law that states so many plots per ratio of a community.  Of course not many communities would inform you of this and it is rarely stuck to.  I am really sorry I can't remember how many it is but do know London Borough of Hilligdon comply with this.

Have you tried searching on Google?  It must be somewhere as I know for sure it exists.

Good luck,

Sinbad

MaryM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 20:31:56 »
Thank you Sinbad-that's very encouraging!

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 20:42:51 »
I have heard that too that the demand has to be adheared to to a degree but not sure what that degree is! Good luck nd let us know how you get on...

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 21:18:43 »
I have heard that too that the demand has to be adheared to to a degree but not sure what that degree is! Good luck nd let us know how you get on...

There is a law about the amount of allotments per ratio of a community but I think only Hilligdon adhere to it, on my site there are 13 allotments (one chap has four of them) and a waiting list of around 50.

The sad thing about our site is that there is lots of unused council land around it which would take very little effort to make it into allotments but kirklees Council seem to see as a problem the just don't want to deal with.

EDIT*

It may be worth contacting your local green party.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 21:22:20 by MickW »

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 21:28:06 »
MikeW, if it was me and I wanted the land developed into allotments I would trace who originally owned the land.  There could be a covenant that states it was given for allotments donkey years ago and if this was the case then I think you could well push for it to be turned back into allotments.

Does your council not give allotment sites the choice to manage themselves as that is a good option to expand once other people are willing to take on the day to day management of a site.

Sinbad

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 21:49:27 »
Sadly our site is only around 25 years old and used to be where council workers grew flowers for the graveyard  so there won't be any covenant.

Our allotment secretary is a council worker that tends the graves and local parks, he seems like a very nice man but he likes his peace and quiet far too much to confront anyone not tending plots or to speak to the council about any issues, I'd love to switch to a committee  as would most other plot holders but I'm the only one willing to stand up and say so out loud so it could never happen.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal