Author Topic: paths - membrane and mulch questions  (Read 2303 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
paths - membrane and mulch questions
« on: February 01, 2008, 20:23:56 »
Hi. I have seen lots of info here about creating paths but have some probably daft questions to ask. I have made raised beds and want to somehow keep weeds down/away from the paths. I have some membrane - how do people use this - how do you keep it down and not rucked up on a path? Do you attach to the beds somehow?

For mulch I have read that people use bark or wood chips but a allotment neighbour said that encourages wood lice that'll eat all my crops - any advice on this or other good mulches for on top of the membrane please?
Thanks!

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
Re: paths - membrane and mulch questions
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 20:34:11 »
I use large membrane pins, they look like big hairpins, if you know what I mean. About the thickness of wire coat hangers.

Oh found a link for you. They also have black weed fabric pins too  ;D

http://www.ewburrownursery.co.uk/downloads/plantsdownloadfiles/p18_19.pdf

Hope this is useful
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 20:40:35 »
we use woodchip, never had a problem with woodlice eating stuff, only the strawberries and there's no wood chip there, ???

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 16:21:06 »
Thanks Lauren and Manicscousers - really useful link and reassurance re woodchip. I have had woodlice in my sweetcorn (they climb well!) but there was no woodchip near them, but dont want to entice them!

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
  • From humble beginnings...
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 18:24:28 »
Hi gwynleg, i now have raised beds with woodchip paths in between, and i just laid a :) weedproof membrane down and and made sure the strips that i cut, were 5-10 cm's wider than the path, and then nailed them to the beds. It looks much nicer than a weedy and muddy path, in my opinion. :)
Thas a rummun !!

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 14:15:13 »
Ive got weed membrane down - held in place with either camping pegs, or just tucked under the wood of the rasied beds.
Mine are covered with woodchips, and I dont have any probs with woodlice  ???

One thing to remember with woodchips though is that they dont last forever and will eventually rot. Try to find a suitable supplier (i.e. not B&Q) I get mine from a local nursary who have mountains of them... I fill a trailer (8`x6`) for the bargain price of £8.00!
I'm always on the look out for paving slabs people dont want though to replace these with

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 15:18:33 »
our recycle centre gives wood chip away for nothing  :o you just have to bag it yourself  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal