Author Topic: feeding staffordshire bull terriers  (Read 2204 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
feeding staffordshire bull terriers
« on: January 13, 2008, 17:08:43 »
when we got our dog, maisie, 3 years old, she was being fed with bakers complete..we've kept her on it since and have just bought a huge bag and...she's turning her nose up at it, just today..she's okay with everything else, ate her treats when we went out and pinched a piece of cheese I dropped before I could pick it up..
so, no sore mouth or stomach ache, I've checked for both of them..any ideas, please, I'll leave it down and see how she goes, I don't fancy a hefty vets bill if she's just gone off it  ;D
what do you feed yours ?

debster

• Hectare
Re: feeding staffordshire bull terriers
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 17:21:44 »
i dont own a dog but lots of the pet shops and supermarkets etc sell sample size packets of food maybe try one or two of these just to see if she will eat them if she does its very likely to be a fussy dog lol  :)

tim k

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 20:51:49 »
mine is on james wellbeloved i change the flavour every pack (i only buy the 3 kg packs ) and he loves it !my previous staff was on the same from the age of about six and she lived till 16!

they do different types so if they get fat you buy the diet one or old you get the senior one and so on

i have also noticed that if you tell a vet that you feed wellbeloved they never try to sell you there stuff they just nod and say good choice ;)

hope that helps :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 20:56:35 »
thanks, Tim..she seems to have settled on meat and mixer  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 21:55:38 »
My dogs  have had Royal Canin since birth and the cats have it since they arrived here , I believe it to be an excellent food however...if your dog has been happy and healthy on your chosen one I would personally not change her.
 Providing you know her to be healthy, I would suspect she is testing you which in my experience is very common. If you change  her food she may well eat the new stuff for a while,then she will do it again,and again.If you offer her something tasty to tempt her if she seems to be not eating she will quickly learn to do that. It doesn't take long even with a older dog to' train' them  to be fussy. If you put her food down and she doesn't eat it, pick it up and miss the meal. Next meal time offer her the same food, if she doesn't eat it remove it, if she eats a little bit, pick up the bowl after a while and remove it,she will eat it when she is hungry and can hold out several days it won't hurt her, only you!!

This may sound brutal if you are sure the food is good and she is  without doubt healthy, she it trying it on. They are extremely good at it, and very good at making you feel gulity and giving in !!

I feel sure you probably know all this but posting it in case there is a newbie dog owner who does not.

Good luck, smashing name...my mothers and one of my cats by the way(Daisy Maisie)

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 22:17:09 »
yep, she tried that a few times, don't give her treats but we were worried that the broken tooth may have been hurting..she'll be going to the vets next week so we'll see what he has to say, anyway, she's been eating the new one for a week now so that's it, she's a very healthy dog so, as you say, jeannine, any more messing about and she can just go hungry for a while  ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 22:17:39 »
Manic Elsa (King Charles) has been on Bakers Complete from a puppy, now 8 years.
I also buy frozen chicken thighs, remove skin and boil. So she has a little chicken every day. She ALWAYS walks away from her food when she has finished the chicken, but later in the day she goes back to the Bakers. When she was a pup she really worried me, she went right off her food, Rang the lady breeder she suggested I got down and pretended to eat the dogs dinner YEAH Right ;D ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 22:18:55 »
Well done, the little minx eh. They are very clever John is a sucker when this happens in my house, it is me that is the bad guy!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 22:19:52 »
, Rang the lady breeder she suggested I got down and pretended to eat the dogs dinner YEAH Right ;D ;D
no way, if I got down there, I'd never make it back up, apart from the licking attack by maisie, my knees would give up  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 22:25:01 »
If you change your mind I think we would all like to see that..get the camera readyXX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal