Author Topic: what to grow when you're leaving  (Read 1251 times)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
what to grow when you're leaving
« on: October 13, 2007, 21:58:08 »
We're moving and I'll be leaving my allotment. Don't know when, could be Feb on the other hand I might be here longer! It depends on how soon we sell the flat.

It means I don't know what to do on the allotment. I ended up planting overwintering onions and broad beans. I've got some kale and swiss chard as well, which we can eat over winter.

Should I bother with potatoes, or garlic? What do you think?

Normally winter is time for planning the next year, and this year seems a bit weird...

Any other suggestions?

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
Re: what to grow when you're leaving
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 22:01:34 »
No idea what to plant but isn't it too late for spuds? are you moving too far away to keep the allotment.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 22:06:00 »
yes moving from london to hastings so too far to keep it.

I don't know about all the different kinds of overwintering veg, some people grow potatoes to eat at Christmas don't they? But I don;t know when they plant those.

It's the not knowing when I'm moving that's hard as well. If we have trouble selling our flat, not only will I be fed up with commuting, but I'll regret not having grown anything on my allotment!

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 22:13:28 »
I have potatoes in for Christmas but they've been in around three weeks now but its always worth a go.

Florain

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 22:24:25 »
Similar dilemma here. We shall be moving end of Jan. ---- or might not be till the end of March! We have been really lucky as we have been told we can have a lottie in the spring where we are going (5 year wait here I was told). Have not seen the site yet but it looks good on their website. Sooooo......do I order seed potatoes or not? Will they survive moving day if I start chitting them? Have no idea yet when to expect the last frosts up there (East Riding, 10 miles from the coast if anyone can advise). Got most of the seeds and Gigandes beans on the way I hope :). Looking forward to sorting it all out.

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 09:51:00 »
If you have a car, why not plant veg that dosn't need too much attending - onions, potatoes, garlic etc - and then plan to commute back for the day and drive back with your harvest?

Put a good mulch around everything to stop some weeds and light getting through and then hope for the best.

compothefirst

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 17:57:59 »
Or just grow a few things in pots (the removal men will love you!)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 21:22:50 »
Thanks for your suggestions.

I'm wondering what can be ready in winter or early spring.

Some people have already planted potatoes for Christmas eating. If I planted them now would I get potatoes in jan or would they just not grow?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal