Author Topic: our first bunch of grapes  (Read 1302 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
our first bunch of grapes
« on: August 21, 2007, 21:17:41 »
 ;D ;D ;D
and the only one  ;D

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
Re: our first bunch of grapes
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 21:36:36 »
 ;D gosh, thats one heck of a glut !  I think that has just helped me make my decision ref giving a vine space in the gh ...

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 21:40:33 »
You had poor pollination as well then... my outdoor regent has very few crowded bunches, I usually have to thin ruthlessly, and never do it enough, this time I won't need to bother!
 :(

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 22:23:16 »
Bummer!! I seem to have plenty of bunches but grape size not large. Mine are Black Hamburg and outside against a south facing wall. I have recently planted a donated and type unknown as yet vine with it's roots outside but growing inside my greenhouse. Hoping for great things. ;D ;D ;D ;D (can you hear the hysterical laughter?)
Smile, it confuses people.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 22:33:01 »
Did you thin out the baby grapes? You need special scissors with long points. Take about 1/2 the grapes out so the others can swell. Also about one bunch per foot of stem is recommended... you have to be really ruthless to get good sized grapes. If it is a small greenhouse you will need to severe with it or you won't even be able to get in!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 22:54:13 »
Thanks Saddad, the greenhouse grape is new so not reached the roof yet, and I will bear in mind your advice, and I will set too tomorrow and inspect and manicure the B H. ;D

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 23:28:18 »
and the only one

Yes, but they're yours, all YOURS!   ;D

And they don't have mildew   >:(

(mutter...grumble...)
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 00:10:58 »
My Black Hamburg under glass is racing away and loaded with a great many bunches, full size almost now and start to colour up even though they won't be ready for some time yet.

My neighbour also has a Black hamburg, 3 lotties away, hers is weeks behind mine, she loads of bunches but the grapes are about as big as elderberries.

one under glass, one not, it seems to make a huge difference
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 15:55:43 »
The friend who gave me the new grape also gave me a bunch of grapes from his. The skins were tough so I squished them in my tomato squisher and drank the divine nectar :P
Manics, was your vine prolific last year?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 16:45:33 »
first year, maggie..we were given it, overgrown, in a big pot..I cut it back and planted it in the ground so, I suppose it shouldn't have fruited this year anyway  ;D

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 18:05:52 »
Fear not, intrepid vignerons!  Next year it will be wonderful, this year is just naff all round.

The 2007 vintage will either (a) be really poor and collected in extremely low quantities for rarity value that no-one will miss, or else (b) it might yet ripen through a classic Indian summer to produce brilliant wines in extremely low quantities for rarity value that people will be desperate for.

By the way, my money's on scenario (a) :-[
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 21:37:46 »
My Black Hambourg grapes in the cold Greenhouse in Glasgow, will be ready for eating in about 2 weeks. They are about a month earlier than last year, I think because of the hot early summer that we had.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal