Author Topic: Potoatoes  (Read 1639 times)

janleaver

• Not So New ...
Potoatoes
« on: July 10, 2007, 20:55:14 »
Can anyone help? ???   Some of the plants have gone yellow on my potato plot.     I dug some of the ones up that have gone completely yellow and died and I have found that the potato nearest the stem has completely rotted away but the other potatoes belonging to the same plant are fine except for the skin seems very rough.   Under the skin sometimes I find very small holes.   We have eaten the good potatoes and they seem fine and beautiful taste.    Is it just the very wet weather  or worms or even slugs because the site really is very wet.  Can I plant here again with potatoes or should I move them to a different patch on my allotment site.    Thankyou  :-\

Kepouros

• Hectare
Re: Potoatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 22:36:35 »
They`ve gone yellow simply because they have done what they are supposed to do and are dying back.  The rotten potato at the base of the stems is the original seed potato, and should be burned or binned.

I can`t tell you what the small holes under the skin might be without some more information, but they are probably some form of underground pest.

You shouldn`t grow potatoes on the same patch for another 4 years to avoid the risk of a build up of soil borne diseases and pests.

janleaver

• Not So New ...
Re: Potoatoes
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 10:07:47 »
 ;D      Thankyou for your reply Kepouros.   I know so little of what I am doing on the allotment but I am trying to learn.    I love every minute I am growing the vegetables I read but until I have actually grown and eaten them, I do not know whether I am doing right or wrong.   Thankyou for the information again I will go over to the allotment feeling a  lot better, knowing everything is fine and I am alright eating them.   Jan. ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal