Author Topic: A good place to buy tools at a competitive price?  (Read 3198 times)

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
Re: A good place to buy tools at a competitive price?
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2007, 19:54:49 »
There's no need to spend the sort of money some people are talking about.

My sentiments exactly Robert.

Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2007, 20:36:04 »
Well I have to disagree with you about the spending. I think  sometimes there is a need to spend that much.
I paid quite a bit for my push pull hoe from Wolf.  It VERY lightweight,so much so that I can pick it up in one hand and I can lift it shoulder height,I don't need to do that for weeding, but it makes the point.
 I can't lift any of the other gardening tools we have off the floor without using 2 hands and even then I can't use them due to the weight and we do have some other aluminium ones.
So for me it is literally worth it's weight in gold,and I am able to hoe again, something I have been unable to do for some time.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2007, 22:58:03 »
I must admit i have tried cheap tools and found them difficult to work with but my joseph bentleys are fabulous = not top of the range but £20-30 per tool but worth it in my opinion as i get more done and dont ache so much!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2007, 09:14:44 »
If you haven't got the money you can't spend it! I had nothing when I started, and my point is that you can get perfectly adequate tools for very little. Luxury stuff can come later if and when you have it. The Victorians didn't have any of these lightweight modern tools, and it didn't inhibit them at all.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2007, 11:32:11 »
It would have stopped me..my point is that the Wolf is so light that someone with a disability like me can use it,the option being that they can't use anything.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2007, 13:49:10 »
Actually robert the victorian tools are probably better than modern day cheap stuff - last alot longer, better made, easier to use... an antique shop though will still set you back £15-20 a tool.  I agree if you dont have the money you cant spend it.  But would rather have 3 good tools that 1/2 dozen cheap one.  All that is needed is a fork and spade and either hoe or rake in my opinion -

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2007, 19:58:46 »
Going back to Jimmy's original request for 'basic/essentials', I would add a trowel.  You need this to plant out what you have grown.

Melbourn12, my dad bought a 'neverbend' spade, and he complained 'it didn't bend, it snapped'.

I agree, you can buy cheap, and have to buy twice, but there are some bargains out there.

We bought a border fork from woolworths, cheaper than it would have been to replace a handle for the existing fork, where it had rotted.  Years later it is still going stong.

Having been in Tesco recently, I am not a fan of their hand tools.  Cheapo crappo plastic is the kindest description I can give them.

valmarg

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2007, 21:01:08 »
If you're getting a trowel look for the sort with the handle welded onto the blade, they're a lot stronger. Blades can still bend though on the crappy ones.

David R

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2007, 13:09:49 »
i would also add a knife, or some kind of cutting/pruning implement. Useful for all sorts of stuff. I have a gardeners penknife and an old kitchen knife in the shed. The kitchen knife is surprisingly usefull for weeding in awkward areas!

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2007, 21:59:52 »
Thanks peeps!

I will keep my eyes open for a good trowel (I agree that the ones in Tesco looked and felt as cheap as they were).  The knife is another good idea.  I have been on the lottie 1 weekend and already needed a knife.  Ironically it was to remove the rip ties that attached the card to my new shears!

I did find a knife in the undergrowth whilst clearing, but it was more like a butter knife.

Knife and Trowel - on the list :)
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2007, 22:29:52 »
I needed a knife (pocket type) also for up at the plot (opening compost sacks etc), but couldn't find one, so opted for a 10 in 1 multitool from Screwfix, at £3.99.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal