Author Topic: how stupid  (Read 875 times)

debster

• Hectare
how stupid
« on: May 26, 2007, 11:41:29 »
well i mad a big boo boo when sowing seeds i didnt mark three lots so i am now unsure what they are i know they are leeks, spinach and swede but not which ones are which. i cant post photos at the moment but will try with a description.
one lot look identical to the onions i planted am i right in saying they would be the leeks
one lot started with long seed leaves and the true leaves coming through are like a rounded oblong shape
the other lot started with almost heart shape seed leaves and the true leaves are coming through with almost spiky edges like squash etc do
hope someone is able to help me
thanks

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: how stupid
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 13:34:46 »
The ones that look like onions will be the leeks.  I don't know what swede seedlings look like, as we don't eat them (therefore don't grow them). Spinach often comes up a few seedlings together, as the seed is not one seed, but a "cluster" of seeds.
The Tuscan Beaneater

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 13:42:23 »

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 13:44:03 »
one lot look identical to the onions i planted am i right in saying they would be the leeks

Relative to the others things you mention I would say a definite yes......are the leaves flat? (onion leaves are tubular)

one lot started with long seed leaves and the true leaves coming through are like a rounded oblong shape

This will be the Spinach

the other lot started with almost heart shape seed leaves and the true leaves are coming through with almost spiky edges like squash etc

These will be the swedes

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 15:39:42 »
thank you very much

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal