Author Topic: eating me out of house and home!  (Read 1779 times)

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
eating me out of house and home!
« on: April 04, 2007, 13:37:01 »
is anyone else having trouble keeping up with the birds at the moment?

in our garden they're currently going through 2 fatballs a day, a feeder of black sunflower seeds and a feeder of sunflower hearts every 4 or 5 days (pair of Robins mostly responsible for that) and, as a last resort, peanuts.

hope we get to see lots of big fat fledglings soon!

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
Re: eating me out of house and home!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 14:07:30 »
Mine are a greedy lot as well!!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 07:29:48 »
my seeds have remained largely untouched for days now and the fatballs are only going down slowly.

everything is a bit quiet on the bird front just lately (i guess they're busy nest building), but i'm waiting for the baby starlings to arrive.  that will clear out the larder !

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 12:53:20 »
Me too.. mostly the sparrows and blue tits eating sunflower seeds out of the feeder. The rest are polite enough to eat bugs/seeds from around the garden, which is at least cheaper..

nippie

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 12:59:04 »
The sparrows and robins are eating everything I put out. A pair of very Territorial black birds are trying in vain to keep everything at bay ;D
Friendship isn't a big thing.
Its a million little things.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 13:32:00 »
not sure what's going on with the sparrows this morning.  they're making a hellova din and seem to be fighting between themselves.  probably their way of saying "I lust you" lol
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

knbsallotment

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 19:07:24 »
The birds on my plot are also going barmy, eating anything they can get at. Squirrels also eating a fair bit, along with my resident rat family, which I can't bring myself to kill. I have to say, they have not caused me too much trouble in the last two years, simply eating the blemished or damaged fruit I put in a little pile for them. Also my three resident cats help to keep their numbers down, and the mice also. I do feed my stray cats, as well, so all in all, I have a whole little farm yard, especially with the addition of a family of monkjack deer on the disused plot next door!!!
Looking from the outside in...

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 21:07:20 »
Mostly I am being cleared out by the finches, bluetits, robin and sparrows but the squirrel is doing his  best to help too...lol

This isn't a great pic, it was taken a couple of days ago from inside the kitchen on my mobile phone and has been magnified but gives you an idea of the fun and games we get to watch  ;D

« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 21:11:53 by honeybee »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 21:36:36 »
ours were digging up the lily bulbs last year, i had to cover the pot with chicken wire in the end,
 I do like them though..we went to the squirrel sanctuary last week to see the red squirrels, they're even cuter  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal