Author Topic: Recording VHS to DVD ?? NTSC  (Read 1610 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Recording VHS to DVD ?? NTSC
« on: March 05, 2007, 23:21:16 »
Hi, can someone advis me please.

I know I can buy a recorder that will record from VHS tapes onto DVD  but I brought most of my tapes from North America and they are NTSC(not PAL). I have asked in Comet which machine I need to do the job but the young man who said "  I think this machine will do it" after looking at boxes didn't sound as though he knew really and spent a lot of time reading the booklet. As I know nothing about this stuff, I need some advice before I invest the money or ruin my tapes. Is there anyone there who knows first hand of a named machine I can get. Thank you Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Recording VHS to DVD ?? NTSC
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 22:01:29 »
Well the first thing you do in the UK if you want computer/DVD, etc, etc help is not to go to Comet, Computer World, Dixons and their various counterparts.

We listen to a local radio station (Radio WM) and they have a consumer programme on weekdays from 10.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m.  The Ed Doolan Show.  He has various 'expert' slots on his programme between 11.00 a.m. and 12 noon.

I'll send your message to him on Monday in order to find out which of his programme contributors would be the best to advise you, either by email or phone, assuming you have had no replies in the meantime.

valmarg

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 22:37:40 »
Oh thank you so much,I am useless at those things it is very kind of you XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 01:26:15 »
To play the tapes you would require a multisystem converting VCR or alternately a multisystem VCR used with either a multisystem television or an av video standards converter.
If you want to convert them to DVD then the simplest solution is to get a multisystem converting VCR set the output to PAL & record them to DVD using one of the methods mentioned in this thread http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,72/topic,28404.0 that way it will be a PAL signal you are recording so you don't have to worry about converting it yourself or how to play NTSC DVD's.

A Multisystem Converting VCR is able to play and record in NTSC, PAL or SECAM.  However, the one big advantage is that it also has the ability to convert from one standard to the other. 
The Samsung SV5000W Multi-System Converting VCR is one of the most popular multisystem VCR's. Equipped with advanced digital standards conversion circuitry, the SV-5000W provides worldwide NTSC, PAL or SECAM playback on any television. This means you can playback VHS tapes recorded in almost any country and on any monitor.

A multisystem VCR is capable of playing some or all (depending on the make and model) tapes formatted in PAL, SECAM or NTSC.  However, this type of machine only outputs the format of the tape that you put into it.  For example, if you put in a PAL formatted tape, the VCR will output a PAL video signal. If you play an NTSC format tape, the video output will also be NTSC.  A straight forward multi-system VCR does not actually convert video signals.  To be able to watch an NTSC tape on a PAL television or vice versa you would also require either a Multi-system television or a video standards converter.

A multisystem Television is basically a normal television which has the ability to receive broadcasts in different formats - PAL, NTSC and SECAM.  The television will also allow the playback of video tapes recorded in any of these formats using a Multi-system VCR as above.

A Video Standards Converter would take the output video signal from the Multi-system VCR and convert that signal to the format that the television is capable of receiving.  For example, if the television was a standard UK model, it would only be capable of PAL reception.  To be able to view an NTSC format tape played on a Multi-system VCR, an NTSC to PAL converter would be required.  The multi-system VCR would output an NTSC video signal which would then pass through the video standards converter to be converted to PAL and thus giving a signal that the television could recognise.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 09:13:16 »
Wow thank you I will print this off,XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal