Author Topic: F1  (Read 831 times)

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
F1
« on: March 13, 2007, 09:40:04 »
Stupid q of the day. What does F1 mean? I know they are the varieties that are resistant to canker etc, but is it F1 as Formula 1, as in the best, or what? I also had a thought that they're not genetically modified or anything like that are they?
Looking through my seeds I have Pak Choi, Rico F1, Sweetcorn Swift F1 and pumpkins, Aladdin F1 for the girls at Halloween (don't eat pumpkin bleugh!)
Stoopid oopid.
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
Re: F1
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 09:48:25 »
Nothing to do with GM - it is simply conventional plant breeding.

F1 means the "first filial generation" seeds/plants - a hybrid.

Essentially, the seed producer has two distinct parents and cross-pollinates those two varieties to produce a hybrid with desirable characteristics. This is often done by hand, which is why the seed is more expensive. F1 seed often gives better crops/nicer flowers and that is why this is done.

Some people on here argue that F1 seed is a bad thing, because if you save the seed yourself, they won't come true to the parents and because the lack of genetic diversity may not be so good for pest/disease resistance.

Also, the 'desirable characteristics' may be desirable for the farmer, rather than gardener - for example if the whole crop ripens at the same time, that is good for mechanical harvesting, but not good for someone who wants to pick a few of something each day.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
Re: F1
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 09:55:23 »
Aha, thanks very much. With you on the pick something every day thing, as that's supposed to be the point, also was hoping to save seeds etc so will try to steer clear of F1 if I can. They were all prezzie from friend and if I didn't know there's no chance she would! Thanks for explaining that, another garden mystery solved. x
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal