Author Topic: Where's my garlic gone?  (Read 2197 times)

Flowertot

• Not So New ...
Where's my garlic gone?
« on: February 14, 2007, 16:04:01 »
Hi All

I planted some garlic in Nov, but there's still no sign of them sprouting.  Are they still there waiting for a warm sunny day to rear their heads or have they been washed out with all the rain?

What do you think - should I plant some new one just in case?

Thanks

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
Re: Where's my garlic gone?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 16:47:22 »
Have you had a gentle dig around to see if it's still there - I would before planting any more.  just put mine out today - waiting for the new beds to be finished - though i started it off in modules.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 16:49:50 »
I have to say I planted mine in the open in Nov or Dec and they are up, green and boisterous, about 3-4". Sounds as if something has made off with them or they have rotted. Bad luck.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 18:07:48 »
Standard 2" deep, Totty?

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 21:27:51 »
I put some in end November, and they are up and bright green, at least 4 inches tall now.  Sounds like you might have lost them.  :( Have a gentle dig & see if your bulbs are still there, they may have been nicked by friendly furries, or have rotted.  We netted ours too to keep birds/mice/our cat off the patch. Good luck! x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 21:58:23 »
are you sure a bird or mouse hasnt pulled them out? they should be well up by now if you planted Nov.

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 22:22:02 »
I planted some on 3rd December and they are only just showing and not every one is through yet, so they may still appear. I'm going to put another row in at the same time as last year which was middle of March. They all did very well planted then.

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 22:50:23 »
Hi,
I planted 40 in 3" pots in an unheated greenhouse, some 4 weeks ago, and most of them now have shoots of 1"-2" high. (36 out of 40 so far)
Ready to transplant to the allotment when they are about 4"?
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

Flowertot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 08:53:15 »
Thank's all I'm preparing myself for the worst :'(.  Will have a little dig around, but if they're all gone, I'll get some more in sharpish!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 10:05:35 »
Dig about and see if they're down there. Mine all came up long ago, but they went in earlier than yours. If they go in late, they can sit underground all winter.

tonyveggie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 10:40:34 »
Maybe it's the type of garlic you planted?

I planted Purple Wight and Elephant back in Novemver and the PW shot up really quick but the Elephant  to a lot longer. Both are coming along nicely now though, so best have a dig to see.

Does anyone know of anything that likes to steal or eat freshly planted garlic? Birds kept pulling my shallots up for the first couple of weeks they were planted but the garlic's been fine.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 13:13:46 »
Yes my elephant took alot longer though i did lose 1/2 of them to birds or mice... not a sign of the darn things anywhere and they have left a big gap in my row... bought some more elephants and planted a 4 weeks ago but they havent come up yet though not expecting tthem to til it gets a bit warmer.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 13:58:28 »
Thank's all I'm preparing myself for the worst :'(.  Will have a little dig around, but if they're all gone, I'll get some more in sharpish!

I am sure there still there be confident :-) Chin Up!!

Pigface51

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 17:16:47 »
I planted garlic +++in Nov (Elephant, Purple Wight, Algerian Wight, Spanish Roija, Russian Red etc)....all growing happily at around 3-4 inches....

...but because I was doubtfull that all the rain had caused mine to rot in the ground I planted another batch in mid-Jan and there now are also up at around 1 - 1 1/2 inches in height....

...so I'm going to get twice as much Garlic as I had first thought! (approx 200 bulbs)....

...luckily, I have had past experience with the Isle of Wight Garlic Farm (when I was a wee nipper growing up on the IoW) so I know how to dry & plait my bulbs....

....but it sounds to me like yours may have rotted in the ground - were the cloves from shop bought garlic or from supplier? (i.e. www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 17:34:19 »
sorry but couldnt help but giggle at the blatent garlic farm plugging there  ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 18:39:47 »
Well - you could do worse. At least they are BRITISH!!

Strangely, ours are NOT doing well this year.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2007, 07:57:30 »
my solent wight and purple wight planted last year are doing fine (much better that the onions that the purples are in amongst.

Elephants are struggling along.  only 2 out of 4 poking their heads through (I blame the supplier !  :P).

i covered everything initially with netting to keep the critters off and it seems to have worked for the garlic anyway.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2007, 08:01:55 »
i found three of the garlic bulbs from last year were sprouting so I've shoved them in the ground..may as well see if they do something  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2007, 08:52:42 »
Elephants are struggling along.  only 2 out of 4 poking their heads through (I blame the supplier !  :P).

Last year I planted mine in December, and didn't see them till spring. This year I put them in in October, and they're all up, and up to nine inches or so high. Whether it makes any difference to the crop remains to be seen.

Pigface51

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2007, 12:20:48 »
"sorry but couldnt help but giggle at the blatent garlic farm plugging there"

....but they don't sell plant plugs - only bulbs !

(tee hee)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal