Author Topic: silly sowing question - sorry  (Read 2419 times)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
silly sowing question - sorry
« on: July 11, 2006, 23:11:34 »
Briefly - what can you seed tray sow?
What is better module sown?

All for transplant????

I seem to be sowing stuff in trays that  i should module or direct sow LOL

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: silly sowing question - sorry
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 00:03:26 »
In modules I have recently sown purple sprouting broc, caulis, red and green kale and kohl rabi.  You could still sow some lettuce in modules, and there are late variety of peas you could sow in trays or modules, but at this time of year, the ground is so warm, you  would probably be better off sowing directly.

I veer away from seed trays as I loathe pricking out and modules reduce the need, and waste.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 07:03:50 »
These have Changed My Life OO
http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2069
No more trays - like EJ, I like to keep life simple
Haven't sown direct much (except for beans and spuds lol) as now it's too dry.
If there's no room cos a crop is late getting ready/lifted, plugs can stay put, with a little feed if need be ::)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 07:17:31 »
Yes my beans sown direct have done really well - the peas i sowed in module snapped when i was transplanting them - so lesson learned there... i have some kelvedon wonder which is a late pea i believe... shall get some of those in.

can you sow swiss chard/spinach in modules??? what i have sown direct have hardly come up at all.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 09:22:37 »
can you sow swiss chard/spinach in modules??? what i have sown direct have hardly come up at all.

I have sown swiss chard (bright lights) in modules no problems.
You could also try beetroot and swedes at this time both I have found module so no problem and reduce having to thin.

In fact I pretty much so everything in modules and dump a few seeds in a small pot to pick out just in case of failures

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 11:07:54 »
 ;D

SSprout: looked at the link, looks very technical, and very expensive! What is the advantage of those over a basic module kit in a seed tray?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 12:11:34 »

Katinkka

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 13:03:30 »
These have Changed My Life OO
http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2069
No more trays - like EJ, I like to keep life simple
Haven't sown direct much (except for beans and spuds lol) as now it's too dry.
If there's no room cos a crop is late getting ready/lifted, plugs can stay put, with a little feed if need be ::)

OOOooOOO Thats my next gadget!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 13:32:39 »
SSprout: looked at the link, looks very technical, and very expensive! What is the advantage of those over a basic module kit in a seed tray?
:D

Choice of kit is always horses for courses, this just suits me so well OO, oh, a few advantages imho ::)

Easy to fill from the bag in the kitchen indoors (I don't have a shed >:()
Fits conveniently on windowsill at home (I can get four of these on at a push in a line, nearly 200 seedlings, and if you were desperate for space you can stack them on top of each other :o)
The top is very clever - like a propagator one way, ventilated if turned 90 degrees. And it doubles as a hole maker - exactly like planting in a soil block
Watering is mess-free and impossible to over- or under-water
The size is perfect for my planting plan - seven seedlings of most things go in a row across one bed, perfect for successional sowing, I start one off with different veggies every couple of weeks
Easy to transport one tray at a time to the plot
The pop-up thingie really works and the modules just go into a dibber hole
They are nice and long so even quite big plants get a good start. I even started Turks Turban squash in them and they throve :)
A really clean way to get seeds started indoors, even goes in the dishwasher ;D

I ordered one, then after using it for a while ordered several more and ditched my clarty seed trays and rootrainers. It's a joy to find a piece of kit that's been well thought through, but is very simple
It is expensive :-X - but I expect mine to last me a lifetime!
NB I'm not related to the manufacturer ;) 8)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 13:39:12 by supersprout »

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 13:21:57 »
A windowsillfull today katy, 200 seedlings of o/w onion, globe artichoke and successionals:

successionals up close: lettuce, cucumber, and beetroot. Labels slot in sideways :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 13:37:49 by supersprout »

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 18:33:19 »
wow they look good - do you have any probs getting them modules out for planting or do they root up really well and just fall out when you want them to?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 20:00:49 »
:) thank you OO, and being designed in Sweden they go so well with the Ikea decor lol ;)
You live and learn!
I let the seedlings grow nice and big - I was afraid they'd get 'rootbound' - so transplanted too early to start with, and half the soil fell off. I was encouraged by visits to the Delfland nursery where their plugs are completely rootbound. It doesn't seem to do them any harm ::)
I let them dry out a bit before transplanting (the opposite of what I've always done) so the earth and roots stick together.
Then they pop out bootiful, I pick them up by the seed leaves and pop them in the dibber hole, then water in ;D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 20:06:36 by supersprout »

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 22:46:13 »
 :o

WOW! Very impressive SSprout, am almost convinced. Can feel a birthday pressie coming on ready for next season!

;)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 07:29:11 »
I was thinking more 'payday' lol... but alas its everyone elses bday and theres bills to pay - not to mention the fact that i need fleece and  netting desperately for the plot before i start sowing anything else for the wildlife to eat!

But its def on my list.

Is there anything you 'cant' sow that HAS to be sown direct???

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2006, 10:45:36 »
Hi OO, it's difficult to prioritise isn't it? I tell myself that four trainers was the price of two good bottles of whisky (I don't drink lol)
Green manure gets sown direct ;D
I'm not sowing much direct, because of extreme mulching habits in this weather :P, except beans and peas, spuds, and jerusalem artichokes. I soak beans and peas overnight and let them sprout for a day in a damp teatowel. Beans have been very successful with jennym's method - 1 ft apart, 4 beans per hole:

« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 10:48:06 by supersprout »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal