Author Topic: Our little pond  (Read 2594 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Our little pond
« on: June 18, 2006, 18:09:46 »
It isn't grand, it is tucked away three quarters of the way up the garden.  It is quite deep (2 and a half foot) and has about 12 fishies in it.  We have oodles of fat frogs who refuse to ever spawn in our pond.  We also have newts, damselflies, dragonflies, waterboatmen and other wigglies.  We have 2 waterlillies, water buttercups, water lettuce, hyacinth, lobelia, arrowhead, 2 different types of reed.  It also has a small stone filled stream running into it.  We are planning to change the stream in the autumn to make it deeper and steeper, maybe with another small retaining pool so we get more benefit of running water.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Our little pond
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 19:00:09 »
Doesn't that look lovely EJ! It looks so mature as though it's been there forever - it's a delight.....I can remember pix of AVA digging it out. (What did he do with the spoil, btw?) 

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 19:46:28 »
EJ  it looks fab!  Love it!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 22:47:40 »
The spoil was carefully distributed around the garden along the fence.  Suprisingly easy to loose!  ;D

The piccy doesn't do it justice, it is a lovely little pond. Glad you like it.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 23:44:03 »
That looks lovely EJ!  I remember when you did it too and now, as Lishka says, it looks so mature and settled in.  A picture of delight and a 5 Star place for your frogs to live.   :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

libby

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 00:39:01 »
It isn't grand, it is tucked away three quarters of the way up the garden.  It is quite deep (2 and a half foot) and has about 12 fishies in it.  We have oodles of fat frogs who refuse to ever spawn in our pond.  We also have newts, damselflies, dragonflies, waterboatmen and other wigglies.  We have 2 waterlillies, water buttercups, water lettuce, hyacinth, lobelia, arrowhead, 2 different types of reed.  It also has a small stone filled stream running into it.  We are planning to change the stream in the autumn to make it deeper and steeper, maybe with another small retaining pool so we get more benefit of running water.

[/quote

hi EJ
frogs will spawn if you have a shallow ledge, preferbly amongst  those flag iris? mine are evey year but i have to put up with the heron(s) all the time, i had some good young coi, but he polished them off three times, nature i know but now i have to look after the frogs, if ther'e not around, the  frogspawn get's eaten

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 16:34:07 »
Looks lovely EJ, very relaxing to look at.
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal