Author Topic: Organic pest control?  (Read 1573 times)

Pigface51

• Quarter Acre
Organic pest control?
« on: June 21, 2006, 16:05:56 »
Two questions:

Q1. If I use slug pellets (but as a border, not actually on the veg) does the veg still count as organic?

Q2. I have heard that soapy water (tap water & washing up liquid) is and "organic" way of keeping green/black fly at bay - is this true and does it count as organic if an Eco-washing up liquid is used?

...I am trying to be as organic as possible and want to make sure I get to grips with this....if anyone has any good links that is also welcomed

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Organic pest control?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 16:27:23 »
I guess if you get organic - animal friendly pellets then that is organic...and if you aren't using them around your veg anyhow then I guess it doesn't matter.

The soapy water one has been talked about before.  I don't believe the experts mean washing up liquid when they say soft soap, they actually mean horticultural soft soap, which as I understand it, is perfectly organic.

Me, I find my boot is an organic way of dealing with slugs and snails and my fingers squish the aphids, organically friendly, but a bit yuck!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 16:43:57 »
Nemaslug are organic and effective in the long run. As are the new slug pellets....

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 16:52:06 »
Pellets. One assumes that you are not selling your produce?
Then, since the pellets cannot affect it, it is organic as far as you are concerned? I am happy to feed all our stuff to our young.

With care, even wildlife can be protected.

Some reading...............

http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=61_179&products_id=1821

http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/biosi/research/biodiversity/staff/wocs2.html

Wrote this before reading Dad's post.

Pigface51

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 14:13:52 »
Thanks for the replies - and in answer to the question, NO I'm not selling my produce...

...its just for the family (and also the guinea pigs to compact into compost pellets).

It was more a 'peace of mind' as I'm tryinbg to stay as organic as possible:

I have yellow Marrigolds to attract in the hoverflies, Phacalia to attract in the lacewings and I am led to believe red clover also attarcts some types of ladybirds (although I'm not convinced yet about that)...the red clover & phacalia has the added benefit of being green composts.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 15:59:27 »
The soapy water gets in the green/black flys eyes - so they can see where there going and fall off the plant  ;D
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal