Author Topic: Rocket first early.  (Read 1144 times)

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
Rocket first early.
« on: May 25, 2006, 14:59:34 »
Sorry I've tried the search button but no results. Could somebody tell me when my Rocket first early will be ready? I have a couple of flowers on them now. I'd love to be able to give my girls (they are coming to visit me next week) some to eat.

Sprout

• Acre
Re: Rocket first early.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 15:07:57 »
It's reckoned that first earlies should be ready approx 13 weeks after planting but this will obviously depend on the weather, how deep you planted them etc etc etc.
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 15:56:02 »
Doesn't it go that when the first earlies flower, there are spuds below the ground?  I don't know the science, but what I can tell you is the king edwards I left behind last year because I am a rubbish digger, have all grown and I have been happilly digging up little spudettes now for a couple of weeks, and as I need to room and dig up another, they are steadily getting bigger and more plentiful.  What I would do (and will do soon) is just have a root around one plant and see what you unearth.  you don't have to dig is up totally, just have a poke around with your hand and see if there are any yet.  Good luck!

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 17:07:40 »
Cheers I'm away for the weekend misbehaving on a scooter rally in Skegness, so I'll leave them to soak up all this rain we've had till Tuesday.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 19:18:03 »
You'll be going right past my school then :)

Sorry - meant to say that all my volunteers are coming up between my hunions so I can't dig 'em - just have to keep hoeing the top growth.  I dream of the day when my rotation finally settles down.  :-X
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 21:01:04 by redclanger »
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 20:48:40 »
I planted a row of rocket and a row of swift in the poly on 19/3 and we have friends down this week so it might be worth a firkle!!
If you dig up volunteers, from last years earlies you missed you will see tiny tubers forming almost from the word go... I have some stray red dukes and the emerging plants are less than six inches tall and you can see the new tubers begining.
 ;D

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 23:16:37 »
As a guideline, allow 10 weeks from planting for First Earlies, 13 weeks for Second Earlies, 15 weeks for Early Maincrops and 20 weeks for Late Maincrops

From the T&M website, but it's easier just to have a quick scrape

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 17:39:03 »
I seem to remember someone suggesting last year - picking off the flowers to increase yield.
I tried it but didn't notice much difference, but I was growing those newfangled rubbish spuds, SARPO.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 18:27:14 »
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with last year's spuds re-appearing in the middle of this year's onions!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 22:04:44 »
i get that every year; I just go round once a week or so and pull out everything I see. Then I dig them as soon as I clear that bed.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal