Author Topic: Lily of the Valley  (Read 2536 times)

Sheona

• Not So New ...
Lily of the Valley
« on: April 06, 2006, 21:12:45 »
My mum really likes this flower and had it growing in her front garden for years until the dog ate it  ;D I would like to buy her a replacement but haven't seen it for sale for a long while.  Any one on here saw it recently, and where? Don't like buying plants online, prefer seeing them in shops or nurseries so you know what you are paying for...

Thanks in advance!

cardinalflower

• Half Acre
  • Love the smell of lilacs .....
Re: Lily of the Valley
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 21:16:52 »
Hiya,
Wilko's currently have some as roots/ rhizomes thingies. I saw them a few days ago. Think they are about £2-£3 per bag with about 2 plants in. They take a good few years to establish but once you have them they spread really well and smell lovely.

:D

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 22:07:18 »
I got mum some for her birthday from ASDA (of all places) just a few weeks ago.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 22:19:57 »
Hi Sheona, have you tried in swap shop to see if anyone has any to spare?? or swap with anything you can offer, just a thought. Rosebud.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 22:21:00 »
Beware where you plant them! I, too, fancied lily-of-the-valley once and it's now almost impossible to eradicate. Have resorted to weedkiller at one time. :o  With hindsight, should have planted them in a shrubbery I created where they would have been superb- cept I didn't have the shrubbery then ::) ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 22:54:01 »
It's difficult to get the stuff started, and it won't grow just anywhere. Once it does get going, it's a weed.

Sheona

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 11:18:50 »
Thanks for the info guys, will call in at ASDA this week sometime, we don't have a wilkos up here.... At least it'll keep mum happy! Would she be better planting it in a large pot sunk into the ground, a bit like what you do with mint to stop it spreading?

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 13:10:21 »
My mum really likes this flower and had it growing in her front garden for years until the dog ate it  ;D

Was the dog ok afterwards? All parts of it are poisonous and it is sometimes blamed for the death of pets?

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 17:14:48 »
Thanks for the info guys, will call in at ASDA this week sometime, we don't have a wilkos up here.... At least it'll keep mum happy! Would she be better planting it in a large pot sunk into the ground, a bit like what you do with mint to stop it spreading?

Sheona that's a great idea - partly for the thuggish habit in time, but also because the perfume is what makes them so attractive and she can move the pot around to wherever she's sitting......so...

guess you've gotta buy her a really nice pot, as well - it'll be a lovely present ;D

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 00:02:14 »
I agree about its ability to spread once happy - looks lovely in my lawn :( Also seems to prefer slightly acid soil.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2006, 00:26:19 »
I got some lily of the valley as part of my Mothers Day present from  my daughter.  I have planted it before in my garden but it disappeared so it was a nice surprise when I got the little box of bulbs. I have a difficult sheltered area in my garden which I thought would be an ideal position, so will try again.  I didn't know it could become a bit of a weed but as long as it takes off, I don't really mind as I need quite a bit of ground cover in that area, which is in the shade of a tree.  busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Sheona

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2006, 12:19:42 »
Thanks for the concern about the dog, he was very sick for a couple of days, and had to be let out all the time cause he had a stinky bum   :o but did recover well! He was with us for 3 years or so after that... and died of natural causes  :'(

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2006, 12:56:51 »
Sorry to hear about the dog Sheona.  Empathise with you.   :( busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

lottief

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 13:20:58 »
I know you said that you don't like to buy online but I got a great bargin on e-bay.

I first bought some very small pots for £1.49 each from Wyevale but they died. On e-bay it was about £4.00 for 15 plants - all of which arrived in really good condition and have sprouted like crazy.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 13:51:27 »
I agree with the rip-off price from W'vales, and don't champion their cause...except that they xchange without a quibble (or even a receipt) anything bought there, from tools to plants.......with plants, enough that you've still got the original plant label. :)

lottief

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 15:44:52 »
If I'd know that I would have taken the dead stuff back! Oh well next time (though I hope there will not be a next time...)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal