Author Topic: Water Lillies  (Read 1714 times)

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
Water Lillies
« on: April 07, 2006, 20:42:38 »
I bought four lillies for my new pond last year, and as advised by the pond centre, put the planter boxes on upturned pots so that the leaves were breaking the surface. They died back in winter, but have now started growing again. Should I now re-set them to the bottom of the pond and let them find their own way to the top?
I bought deepwater varieties.
JeremyB

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
Re: Water Lillies
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 21:17:07 »
Hi Jeremy.I have had lilies in my ponds for the last 15 years.Each winter i placed them on the bottom and then in spring would raise them up about halfway.They did ok  but nothing to shout about.

Then 2 years ago i accidentally left one on the bottom of the pond throughout the spring.By the summer it was doing better than any of the others.I was astonished to see bigger leaves and more buds.It got me thinking that it was trying to tell me something!! So i started lowering the others and then last year just left all the pots except the lilies i knew to need shallowish water,on the bottom.I have never had such beautiful lilies, i counted 17 flowers at one time.They also seem to do better when almost bursting out of their containers so i think you will find as the years go by that it is not worth repotting them until they literally break the basket!!
Margaret

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
Re: Water Lillies
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 07:11:26 »
That sounds very interesting. I will move them to the bottom - just as soon as I can pluck up the courage to go wading in this weather!

JeremyB

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal