Author Topic: Cauliflower Cheese  (Read 3562 times)

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
Re: Cauliflower Cheese
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2006, 13:24:56 »
Keep your parmesan rinds till you make a cheese sauce.  After getting past the roux stage and onto the not-much-milk getting gloopy stage, shove the parmesan rinds in.  Carry on as normal and remove the rinds just before serving. The parmesan oils leech into the sauce giving a deeper flavour.

Also use the rinds by shoving into a wide necked bottle with good Extra V olive oil for 4 days or so, remove and use oil on salads, pasta etc. Haven't tried this one yet, but sounds great, particularly for summer food.

Talk about timing...

Only yesterday my daughter wanted grated parmesan in a sandwich and asked what the thick end (rind) was.
I told her it was the skin and that it couldn't be eaten or used.
Today, I shall be cutting off the rind and doing the olive oil thing and making cauliflowe cheese for tea...YUM :P

Debs

MollyBloom

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2006, 13:14:08 »
A few flaked almonds scattered over the top of cauli cheese makes it more interesting and adds a bit of protein. I also use tend to under-cook the cauli and use half-&-half strong cheddar and red Leicester, for colour and crunch (just HATE pub versions of cauli cheese as they are always soggy, overcooked and horribly pallid!).

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2006, 17:11:17 »
Do agree with Red Leicester - we use it more often than Cheddar.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2006, 18:38:05 »
It doesnt matter what you say Tim, someone will disagree, I am very disappointed with Red Leicester as a cheese, although I will conceed it cooks well ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal