Author Topic: Ponds and Lawns  (Read 2386 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Ponds and Lawns
« on: April 10, 2006, 20:36:21 »
Having (sort of ) got the new pond sorted out now my thoughts have now turned to the lawn next to it which is just about ready to be cut for the first time this year. Howeve i have this nightmarish vision of the pond surface becomeing liberaly decorated with grass clippings every time i cut the grass . To make matters worse my mower is of the hovering variety due to lawn undulations.

Any thoughts/tips please?. I am guessing grass clippings in pond are not a good idea for an algae free pond.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re: Ponds and Lawns
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 21:59:41 »
You will need to treat yourself to a decent size pond net on a long piece of bamboo.  Works a treat.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 20:28:22 »
Grass can be collected with a kids butterfly net about £1
if you use feed and weedkiller on the lawn. I would go for a old bedsheet attached to  garden canes and just cover while you mow.
cheep and cheerfull thats me.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 12:46:08 »
Thanks.

I went to cut the grass near the pond at the weekend, and tried using an old bedsheet to cover the lawn - anchored by bricks. Whilst it worked in as far as keeping the grass clippings out, it sucked up a load of water which came with it when the sheet  was removed. In future I think i will be getting a butterfly/fishing net to scoop out  and clippings after moving. It does seem the easiest solution.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 21:18:41 »
Richard, could you not put a sort of windbreak up round the pond when you cut the grass  easy enough to put up and remove , just an idea, (got a headache now)
                                                                                                                 Hahahaha!!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 10:10:07 »
Richard, could you not put a sort of windbreak up round the pond when you cut the grass  easy enough to put up and remove , just an idea, (got a headache now)
                                                                                                                 Hahahaha!!
Nice idea but probably wouldnt work as i'd have difficulty getting it anchored into the ground (either too soft or too hard where it would go). Thanks anyway

PS Hope your headache goes away soon ;-)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal