Author Topic: bubblewrapping polytunnels  (Read 2649 times)

bigpepperplant

• Not So New ...
bubblewrapping polytunnels
« on: November 22, 2005, 07:40:16 »
Hi, I've been reading everyone's bubblewrap posts but wondered if anyone had any specific help on bubblewrapping polytunnels - more specifically how to stick the damned stuff to the plastic! I've been using waterproof tape and special tape for repairing polytunnels but both are slipping off since the plastic walls are so wet with condensation. Jamming it behind the metal supports doesn't always work cos the plastic's too tight. I'm particularly worried about it because I obviously need to insulate the roof and don't want bubblewrap falling off into my propane heater at night...

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
Re: bubblewrapping polytunnels
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 09:49:29 »
Since you can't use spacers, put the bubble wrap on the outside?

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 09:38:31 »
My approach would be to make lots of thin metal brackets to slide between the skin and the metal frames, to which wooden(?) battens can then be fixed. The bubblewrap can then be attached the the battens, by screwing more battens on.

Derekthefox :D

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 17:20:53 »
im not sre bout this, but im sure i saw somewhere velco straps that go around the poles of greenhouse and then you simply attach strips of velcro to your bubblewrap with a bit of thread and then it should stay up.

the stuff i saw was special made for polytunnelse but i dont see why you cant just do your own stuff with a bit of velcro.

bigpepperplant

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 10:19:12 »
thanks a lot for the advice. The tunnel's pretty big - about 12 foot high and 24 foot wide so don't think bubblewrapping the outside is feasible (I picture scenes of bubblewrap blowing in the wind and me falling off the top!), but the velcro straps might well be the solution.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 14:05:44 »
Or in the absence of Velcro, use bits of string laced around the frame poles, and through the bubblewrap ...

Derekthefox :D

bigpepperplant

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 20:30:02 »
marvellous idea - thanks a lot

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal