Author Topic: Buzzing with anticipation  (Read 2328 times)

Bionic Wellies

• Acre
  • That many spuds !
Buzzing with anticipation
« on: November 30, 2005, 15:10:50 »
Sorry about the pun .... but ... just signed up for a course on summit that I have wanted to do for a long time - bee keeping.  Cool eh?  8)
Always look on the bright side of life

undercarriage plan

Re: Buzzing with anticipation
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 15:13:49 »
Excellent BW! Am jealous, always thought it looked lovely thing to do, and all that honeycomb..mmm...let us know how it goes, and don't make them cross... the bees I mean....
Lottie

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 15:28:27 »
Oooh, bees (or zeeeeees as the little un calls them)
I looked into keeping bees, but the initial equipment costs were prohibitive. Its a fascinating subject. :)
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 15:32:47 »
I am fascinated by bees, not at all scared, but found to my disappointment, that honey makes me ill (ie vomit). How sad is that.

Derekthefox :D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 20:56:29 »
What's the course? Where are you? Send me a PM any time you want advice. Meanwhile, check Thorne's winter sale in the New Year; it's the cheapest place to get hives. http://www.thorne.co.uk/ . Any other time of year, their prices are disgusting.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 20:59:08 »
Derek, have you tried different honeys? What did you have the bad experience with? There are specific honeys which can upset some people, and a very few (very rare in the UK) which are actually poisonous. There's a fanmous account of how an ancient Greek army in the Caucasus managed to retreat successfully by leaving poisonous rhododendron honey out for the enemy.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 21:11:13 »
Nothing specific Robert, just tasted some from a jar, and yacked it straight back. Tried another time (different batch I guess) and same result. The third try was when running the Coventry marathon, a chap was handing spoons of honey to every runner - same result, almost put me on my knees ...

Derekthefox :D

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 21:19:48 »
I did ask the Council about keeping a hive of bees at the Lottie...not that I am into bee keeping.

We had been commenting on the lack of bees this year... and it was a natural progression

The Council weren't too happy with the idea in case someone got stung and sued!!!!

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 21:32:08 »
Derek, have you tried different honeys? What did you have the bad experience with? There are specific honeys which can upset some people, and a very few (very rare in the UK) which are actually poisonous. There's a fanmous account of how an ancient Greek army in the Caucasus managed to retreat successfully by leaving poisonous rhododendron honey out for the enemy.

Those hives are made on my route to work Robert  :)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 21:55:51 »
It's best to say nothing to officialdom about hives; just put them there and see if anyone objects. If you ask permission you're much more likely to get a refusal. As long as you're sensible about it there's no reason for any stinging incident; ~I've had hives on my plot for five years and the only person stung has been me.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 00:48:33 »
That is fantastic BW.  I was a volunteer in a City Farm many years ago and did a short bee course.  I would love to do something more in depth, as I would love to keep bees.  The only trouble would be where to keep them.  I know our neighbours wouldn't be very keen and the lottie committee would have a fit.  They aren't happy about people having ponds in case someone sues them if they drown in them, so you can imagine how they would view bees, especially as we have a high school at the back of us. So lucky you - go for it!  :) busy_lizzie   
live your days not count your years

Bionic Wellies

• Acre
  • That many spuds !
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 07:36:59 »
Thanks for the encouragement and the info - looking forward to being stung :(.

The group organising the course has a web-site at http://www.basingstoke-beekeepers.org.uk/.  There are two courses - a basic one that seems to give a good background and that can be followed by a practical (hands-on) course over the summer.  My knowledge of bees is already quite extensive - they are small and buzz and seem to like flowers - so thank you Robert I shall probably take you up on the offer of advise, once I get started.

I already have a bumble-bee colony in the garden (took up residence in a bird box) they are facinating to watch !
Always look on the bright side of life

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 09:19:02 »
Hey BW what a fascinating course to do.  Well done for signing up.  I think you and Robert should have a bee keeping post because I for one would find it very interesting to read. Know nowt about the subject which I feel a bit guilty about when I think it through because I love honey!

There's a place on a farm a few miles away that sells it. Last time I was there I was pregnant so couldn't try any. Think it was because of possible botox or something? Some danger to the unborn baby.You've reminded me about the farm so I think I'll have a try of some next year. (Good excuse to go see their chickens at the same time lol!)  Wonder if there are any health warnings regarding giving honey to little ones? Sounds silly  but if you haven't had a baby for a while...its unbelievable the list of things you are warned not to eat and not to give to your baby/toddler. See it's throwing up questions already!  ;D

Enjoy your course Bionic!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 18:10:33 »
Botulinus spores have been (very rarely) found in honey, but there isn't a shred of evidence that onyone has ever caught it from eating the stuff. No active bacterium can live in honey as it's so concentrated that it dehydrates them by osmosis and kills them at once. There are health warnings about giving honey to infants but to my mind they're a bit over the top.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 19:41:22 »
Heldi!  You didnt by any chance go to Chainbridge Honey Farm at Horncliffe, Berwick on Tweed?   They have a visitor centre with an exhibition as well.  It worth a visit if you haven't been.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal