Author Topic: Apples  (Read 2258 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Apples
« on: August 17, 2005, 15:51:13 »
Today the children and I gathered 5Ib's of windfalls, 2.5Ib is now in the process of becoming mint jelly and 2.5Ib is in the process of becoming chilli jelly.

http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/recipes_result.asp?name=mintjelly

ps - to add as an after thought, I won't be adding food colouring,  isn't that the main reason we make our own, so we are artificial free!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 15:53:47 by EJ - Emma Jane »

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Apples
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 17:07:03 »
Picked a load of apples today from our plot.  Going to make them into a quick apple sponge pudding in the microwave.  Got a pot of natural yogurt to go with it - rather have cream but have to exercise some self-control  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 17:09:03 »
I used to have a crab apple on the plot and a rose that had lovely hips - the digger grubbed them up.  I think I should ask for compensation een though they were in the hedge row.  What do you think ?
Get with the beat Baggy

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 18:03:29 »
Bloody right you should Baggy!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 18:47:09 »
Don't forget tarte tartin! For apples OR surplus toms.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 19:33:46 »
Thanks Tim  - my apple sponge is half created - just waiting for old man to come home from footer so I can finish it off.

Sausage casserole (again) for the main course.  That's what happens when guests fail to arrive. I had one today who rang in sick  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 22:52:38 »
I hope you have a good cancellation policy wardy!

Wardy...where is your B&B??

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 22:54:06 »
Wardy - please tell me exactly how you make your apple sponge in the microwave and does it just feed the two of you....can it be made bigger? I suppose the answer to that is yes, if you use more ingredients  ;) but what about timings.....I mostly use my microwave for re-heating & not cooking  :(

there's only me but sometimes I do have visitors!! :) thanks

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 00:00:54 »
I googled and found website called something like Bad Mothers  ;D  The sponge worked out ok but not as good as if done in the oven.  It was edible though and my husband ate it without batting an eye lid.  I put me lightly cooked apples in the base of the two dishes, then the sponge mixture on top, lightly covered with cling film and cooked them on full power for about 3 minutes or so until the sponge had risen nicely.  the sponge mixture is just the same as you'd use for the oven, eg 3 oz sf flour, 2 oz butter, 2oz sugar, pinch salt, 1 egg, 2 tbspns milk or a tad more.

Microwave sponge can be a bit rubbery so don't overcook it.  If you don't like the pale appearance you can add cocoa powder  :)  I made two individual sponges in oven proof dishes and served them in those with a blob of yogurt on.  Just a quick pud to use some of the lotty apples.  I use my micro for lots of cooking, especially vegetables  :)

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 22:45:21 »
thanks for that Wardy....I'm assuming you cook them separately and not put them in the microwave together?

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 09:24:00 »
Yep I cooked the apple in my serving dish in the micro for a little until just soft then put the sponge mixture on top and then cooked it with a little cling over it on full power for about 3 mins til the sponge rose

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal